Proverbs Chapter 15

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Here is the Proverbs Chapter to Read for Today.

Feel free to reply after reading it with any insights or observations.

Proverbs, Chapter 15

15:1 A soft answer turns away wrath; But a grievous word stirs up anger.

15:2 The tongue of the wise utters knowledge aright; But the mouth of fools gushes out folly.

15:3 The eyes of Yahweh are in every place, Keeping watch on the evil and the good.

15:4 A gentle tongue is a tree of life; But perverseness in it is a breaking of the spirit.

15:5 A fool despises his father's correction; But he who regards reproof gets prudence.

15:6 In the house of the righteous is much treasure; But in the revenues of the wicked is trouble.

15:7 The lips of the wise disperse knowledge; But the heart of the foolish is not so.

15:8 The sacrifice of the wicked is disgusting to Yahweh; But the prayer of the upright is his delight.

15:9 The way of the wicked is disgusting to Yahweh; But he loves him who follows after righteousness.

15:10 There is grievous correction for him who forsakes the way; [And] he who hates reproof will die.

15:11 Sheol and Abaddon are before Yahweh: How much more then the hearts of the sons of man!

15:12 A scoffer does not love to be reproved; He will not go to the wise.

15:13 A glad heart makes a cheerful countenance; But by sorrow of heart the spirit is broken.

15:14 The heart of him who has understanding seeks knowledge; But the mouth of fools feeds on folly.

15:15 All the days of the afflicted are evil; But he who is of a cheerful heart [has] a continual feast.

15:16 Better is little, with the fear of Yahweh, Than great treasure and turmoil with it.

15:17 Better is a dinner of herbs, where there is love, Than a stalled ox and hatred with it.

15:18 A wrathful man stirs up contention; But he who is slow to anger appeases strife.

15:19 The way of the sluggard is as a hedge of thorns; But the path of the upright is made a highway.

15:20 A wise son makes a glad father; But [a] foolish man despises his mother.

15:21 Folly is joy to him who is void of wisdom; But a man of understanding makes straight his going.

15:22 Where there is no counsel, purposes are disappointed; But in the multitude of counselors they are established.

15:23 A man has joy in the answer of his mouth; And a word in due season, how good it is!

15:24 To the wise the way of life [goes] upward, That he may depart from Sheol beneath.

15:25 Yahweh will root up the house of the proud; But he will establish the border of the widow.

15:26 Evil devices are disgusting to Yahweh; But pleasant words [are] pure.

15:27 He who is greedy of gain troubles his own house; But he who hates bribes will live.

15:28 The heart of the righteous studies to answer; But the mouth of the wicked gushes out evil things.

15:29 Yahweh is far from the wicked; But he hears the prayer of the righteous.

15:30 The light of the eyes rejoices the heart; [And] good news make the bones fat.

15:31 The ear that harkens to the reproof of life Will reside among the wise.

15:32 He who refuses correction despises his own soul; But he who harkens to reproof gets understanding.

15:33 The fear of Yahweh is the instruction of wisdom; And before honor [goes] humility.

(UPDV Translation - Copyrighted, Used By Permission. A raised + sign next to a word means plural.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The following discussion is from the January Reading of This Chapter of Proverbs at ericasp.com:

4244719988_79019312dc_m.jpg

A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit. (Proverbs 15:13)

<p><br />"Happy Heart" is a term that we've used a lot with our young children.  Our antonym is a "Grumpy Heart."  A kid will wake up grumpy and complainy:  "I don't WANT to go to school... I don't LIKE this kind of cereal... It's not FAIR that Cor (our toddler) doesn't have to go to school..." You get the idea.  We have a book by Judith Viorst that describes this type of phenomenon perfectly, and the title says it all:  "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day."  Some days are just like that.  So we've tried to develop terminology that can help us to diagnose and treat this condition, which we call a "Grumpy Heart."  In that moment, we speak into the situation, "Child, it seems like you've got a bit of a Grumpy Heart this morning.  Do you think you can find your Happy Heart instead?"  Sometimes that's enough to snap them out of their spiral of disgust and despair.  But more often, it's the beginning of a process.<br /><br />As flexible as children can often be, a Grumpy Heart is a difficult thing to overcome.  Time-Outs can help a little bit.  Conversation can help a little bit.  But the Grumpy Heart can be very persistent.  We'll be loading up to bike to school in the morning of a "Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" and I'll have to continue reminding my children:  "You know, it's really up to YOU what kind of day you're going to have.  If you keep telling yourself and telling yourself that it's going to be a bad day, then it almost always will be a bad day for you.  But if you can find your Happy Heart and choose to be happy and hopeful, you're much more likely to have a good day."  When I say this, sometimes they'll just grump back at me.  Sometimes they'll have a whiney excuse...<br /><br />But sometimes they'll listen.  And the discovery of one's Happy Heart is truly a magical process to behold.  It really does change a person from the inside out.  I like the old-fashioned word "countenance," which seems to suggest not a look on someone's face but also an entire demeanor or vibe coming off an individual.  And it's totally true that what's going on inside a person absolutely has an affect on a person's countenance.  I just looked up Proverbs 15:13 in the King James Version of the Bible, and indeed, the verse for today is all about countenance:  "A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken."<br /><br />Our attitudes are not as objective or automatic as we often think them to be.  They have a lot to do with what we make of them.  If we can find our Happy Hearts, we can find joy in the most difficult of circumstances -- and joy keeps coming our way, as if drawn by magnetic forces.  On the other hand, if we choose to wallow in our heartache, we can be miserable in the most opulent and luxurious of circumstances.  Emotional impulses -- for sadness or anger, as well as for happiness or surprise -- are natural and unavoidable.  But what we do with those impulses is entirely up to us.  It would be nice if our parents were always close by, observing us and reminding us that we need to find our Happy Heart when we happen to get up on the wrong side of the bed, as we're eating breakfast, as we're riding off for the beginning of the day... But then again, we've got our Heavenly Father.  And we've got the Proverbs:  "A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit."  Do you think you can find your Happy Heart?</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a helpful discussion. I've been guilty of a grumpy heart on too many occasions, or a fearful one even. And that attitude can spoil a day and lead you to behave unwisely and do outright foolish things that just further the downhill spiral. Choosing to have a happy heart (in my mind, a grateful heart) even when outward circumstances are clearly not the best, is a wiser choice. Of course...cause the Bible says so.

Rejoice in the Lord always: again I will say, Rejoice. Let your + forbearance be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. In nothing be anxious; but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your + requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will guard your + hearts and your + thoughts in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honorable, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue, and if there is any praise, think on these things.

(Philippians 4:4-8)

I heard through this passage a reminder to me that when I am chastising my children, I should be careful. I am battling an 18 year old "know it all attitude" and I often wish to say some really ugly things to her when she is disregarding my advise, but I have been reminded by this passage that I must always be wise and not provoke her to be unwise with a hurtful tongue. Thank God for his word.

Last edited:
Our Loving Father is perfectly on guard for all His beloved. His Words and Spirit are available on us all.

Thank You Lord Father. Our Father,Help us to be empowered by your Holy Presence in this life you've given us.

To choose Your Will Lord to bear fruits of joy, love, patience, faith ,self - control a humbled heart.

Thank You on all provisions,our Almighthy God.

All Admiration, Praise & Glory be unto YOU our Loving Father. In Jesus name. Amen

Psalm 37:4 - Delight on the Lord........Matthew 6:33 -Seek Ist the Kingdom of God............

John 14, !5:18 - Spirit within us , who remains within us will be our helper In reminding us that Jesus live in us and we live for Him....

How Great is our God! In Jesus name. Amen.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
But the man [who had been cured of leprosy] went and spread the word, proclaiming to everyone what had happened. As a result, large crowds soon surrounded Jesus, and he couldn't publicly enter a town anywhere. He had to stay out in the secluded places, but people from everywhere kept coming to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But Jesus reprimanded [the evil spirit]. "Be quiet! Come out of the man," he ordered. At that, the evil spirit screamed, threw the man into a convulsion, and then came out of him. —Mark 1:25-26 NLT Key Thought Jesus had power over the evil one and the vile power he seeks to wield. Jesus...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus sent [the man whose leprosy he had cured] on his way with a stern warning: "Don't tell anyone about this. Instead, go to the priest and let him examine you. Take along the offering required in the law of Moses for those who have been healed of leprosy. This will be a public testimony...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Genesis 43–45 , Matthew 12:24–50 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15 On Charley and Jan’s fiftieth wedding anniversary, they shared breakfast at a café with their son Jon. That day, the restaurant was understaffed with just a...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Exodus 14–15,Matthew 17 People look at the outside appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. - 1 Samuel 16:7 Many years ago, Julie Landsman auditioned to be the principal French hornist for a prominent opera orchestra. The orchestra held their auditions behind a screen to...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom