Nobody is reading this thread right now.

"Well, [Moses] permitted it," [the Pharisees] replied. "He said a man can give his wife a written notice of divorce and send her away."
But Jesus responded, "He wrote this commandment only as a concession to your hard hearts."

Mark 10:4-5 NLT

Key Thought

What Moses did in allowing the children of Israel a legal means of divorce (see Mark 10:1-4 and the previous three WJD! devotionals) was done only as a concession. Divorce was not God's original plan. It was not what was best for the people involved. It was allowed only because of the hard hearts of the people who wouldn't honor their vows to each other and to God. In a world where people continue to break their vows, refuse to be faithful to each other, and wound their children and each other, the focus shouldn't be the legality of the concession, but the focus should be prevention of divorce through healthy and loving marriages and restoration of the people broken by divorce.

Today's Prayer

God, I ask first that you help me be a faithful, loyal, and loving person who lives up to the vows, promises, and pledges that I make. Second, dear Father, I pray that you use me to encourage others to do the same. Finally, Righteous Father, I ask that you show me the best ways to help restore and encourage those who have been wounded by divorce. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings

Ⓒ 1996-2020 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
XvwjI2h9pqA

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
[Continuing the explanation of his parable, Jesus said,] "The seed that fell among the thorns represents others who hear God's word, but all too quickly the message is crowded out by the worries of this life, the lure of wealth, and the desire for other things, so no fruit is produced." —Mark...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Later, when Jesus was alone with the twelve disciples and with the others who were gathered around, they asked him what the parables meant. He replied, "You are permitted to understand the secret of the Kingdom of God. But I use parables for everything I say to outsiders, ..." —Mark 4:10-11...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Concluding the explanation of his parable, Jesus said,] "And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God's word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!" —Mark 4:20 NLT Key Thought Jesus wants us to be...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Explaining his parable, Jesus said,] "The farmer plants seed by taking God's word to others." —Mark 4:14 NLT Key Thought Jesus explains his parable of the soils. One key component is the farmer in the story. The farmer is the person who shares God's message, the Good News from God, with...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued,] "For example, a man who divorces his wife and marries someone else commits adultery. And anyone who marries a woman divorced from her husband commits adultery." —Luke 16:18 NLT Key Thought God hates divorce and it's damage, but he still loves people who have been divorced...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom