'BETRAYAL!' - Matthew 26:17-21

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Where do you want us to prepare the Passover meal for you?"

"As you go into the city," he told them, "you will see a certain man. Tell him, 'The Teacher says: My time has come, and I will eat the Passover meal with my disciples at your house.'" So the disciples did as Jesus told them and prepared the Passover meal there.

When it was evening, Jesus sat down at the table with the Twelve. While they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me."

Matthew 26:17-21 NLT

Key Thought​

It's such an ugly word. It's such an ugly action. BETRAYAL! Betrayal and rebellion against Jesus by one of his very own. We've heard hints and warnings, but now Jesus makes it clear during the celebration of Israel's great deliverance from Egypt. He will be handed over to the enemy by one of his most trusted and closest friends.

Jesus' warning that "one of you will betray me" stands in such stark contrast to the phrase "the disciples did as Jesus told them."

Disciples, dedicated followers, do what their master tells them to do. They don't go sell him out for a few coins — or for many coins. They surely don't have the audacity to share in the most intimate and private moments of worship and leave to go betray him (John 13:21, 25-27). But this is precisely Jesus' point. One of his very own will sell him out. In the very moment of joy, Jesus reminds them (and us as well) that we can find it easy to play the game and then leave the room and become someone very different, someone despicable. It's a lot to think about. On this night, the disciples will do just that! When we take the Lord's Supper, it would be good for us to remind ourselves not to become someone different when we leave!

Today's Prayer​

O Great God and Shepherd of my soul, it is hard for me to be as honest with my heart and to know my motives in the way you do. But there is a deep stirring in my heart that reminds me that I could possibly do what Judas did: to honor you in the presence of those who love you, but betray you into the hands of those who hate you and your work. Please forgive me for those times that I have done that, and please help strengthen my resolve and courage so that it will never happen again. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

On the first day of the Festival of Unleavened Bread, the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Where do you want us to prepare the Passover meal for you?"

"As you go into the city," he told them, "you will see a certain man. Tell him, 'The Teacher says: My time has come, and I will eat the Passover meal with my disciples at your house.'" So the disciples did as Jesus told them and prepared the Passover meal there.

When it was evening, Jesus sat down at the table with the Twelve. While they were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me."

Matthew 26:17-21 NLT

Key Thought​

It's such an ugly word. It's such an ugly action. BETRAYAL! Betrayal and rebellion against Jesus by one of his very own. We've heard hints and warnings, but now Jesus makes it clear during the celebration of Israel's great deliverance from Egypt. He will be handed over to the enemy by one of his most trusted and closest friends.

Jesus' warning that "one of you will betray me" stands in such stark contrast to the phrase "the disciples did as Jesus told them."

Disciples, dedicated followers, do what their master tells them to do. They don't go sell him out for a few coins — or for many coins. They surely don't have the audacity to share in the most intimate and private moments of worship and leave to go betray him (John 13:21, 25-27). But this is precisely Jesus' point. One of his very own will sell him out. In the very moment of joy, Jesus reminds them (and us as well) that we can find it easy to play the game and then leave the room and become someone very different, someone despicable. It's a lot to think about. On this night, the disciples will do just that! When we take the Lord's Supper, it would be good for us to remind ourselves not to become someone different when we leave!

Today's Prayer​

O Great God and Shepherd of my soul, it is hard for me to be as honest with my heart and to know my motives in the way you do. But there is a deep stirring in my heart that reminds me that I could possibly do what Judas did: to honor you in the presence of those who love you, but betray you into the hands of those who hate you and your work. Please forgive me for those times that I have done that, and please help strengthen my resolve and courage so that it will never happen again. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Love the Lord with all your heart, mind and soul. Do not betray anyone. Love those who are lost and in sin. Pray for them so Jesus will come in their life and save their souls,so they too will be on their way to heaven.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
[During the Passover meal, Jesus continued,] "But here at this table, sitting among us as a friend, is the man who will betray me. For it has been determined that the Son of Man must die. But what sorrow awaits the one who betrays him." The disciples began to ask each other which of them would...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But even as Jesus [told the disciples to pray to avoid temptation], a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss. But Jesus said, "Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?" —Luke 22:47-48 NLT Key Thought The...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Now the Festival of Unleavened Bread arrived, when the Passover lamb is sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John ahead and said, "Go and prepare the Passover meal, so we can eat it together." "Where do you want us to prepare it?" they asked him. He replied, "As soon as you enter Jerusalem, a man...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One time Jesus entered a house, and the crowds began to gather again. Soon he and his disciples couldn't even find time to eat. When his family heard what was happening, they tried to take him away. "He's out of his mind," they said. —Mark 3:20-21 NLT Key Thought Sometimes those people who...
Replies
Views
  • Article
When the time came, Jesus and the apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said, "I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins. For I tell you now that I won't eat this meal again until its meaning is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God." Then he took a...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom