'Betrayal' - Luke 22:47-48

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

But even as Jesus [told the disciples to pray to avoid temptation], a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss. But Jesus said, "Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?"

Luke 22:47-48 NLT

Key Thought​

The phrase that hurts me most for Jesus in this passage is "one of the twelve disciples." Jesus was betrayed by one of his own. Not only that, he was betrayed by an act of loving greeting. Everything about this event is hurtful and horrifying. How can someone with whom you've shared your most intimate moments and deepest truths give you up to those who hate you? Unfortunately, it happens all too frequently. However, when we go through such trials, we can be assured that Jesus knows our pain and lovingly draws alongside us to comfort us. He has been there. He suffered excruciating pain set up by the betrayal of one of his closest friends. So in our hurt, let us draw near to him and know that he is there to help us make it through our hours of deepest darkness and despair.

Today's Prayer​

Father, thank you for being so close and personal. Thank you for not being far off and detached. Thank you for experiencing our earthly pain when Jesus was one of us. I now draw near to receive your grace and help in my time of need. In the name of Jesus, my faithful friend, LORD, and Savior, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
But Jesus said, “Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?” When the other disciples saw what was about to happen, they exclaimed, "Lord, should we fight? We brought the swords!" And one of them struck at the high priest's slave, slashing off his right ear. But Jesus said, "No more...
Replies
Views
  • Article
These are the twelve [Jesus] chose: —Mark 3:16-19 NLT Key Thought People in God's family have names, histories, futures — and failures. They are different in their interests and their vocations. Yet they all have one thing in common: Jesus! Let's not limit our expectations or dreams for...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The Festival of Unleavened Bread, which is also called Passover, was approaching. The leading priests and teachers of religious law were plotting how to kill Jesus, but they were afraid of the people's reaction. Then Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples, and he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Later, when Jesus was alone with the twelve disciples and with the others who were gathered around, they asked him what the parables meant. He replied, "You are permitted to understand the secret of the Kingdom of God. But I use parables for everything I say to outsiders, ..." —Mark 4:10-11...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then [Jesus] appointed twelve of [his disciples] and called them his apostles. They were to accompany him, and he would send them out to preach, giving them authority to cast out demons. —Mark 3:14-15 NLT Key Thought Jesus selected the twelve apostles for several clear purposes: They were to...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom