'When the Power of Darkness Reigns' - Luke 22:48-53

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

But Jesus said, “Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?”
When the other disciples saw what was about to happen, they exclaimed, "Lord, should we fight? We brought the swords!" And one of them struck at the high priest's slave, slashing off his right ear.

But Jesus said, "No more of this." And he touched the man's ear and healed him.

Then Jesus spoke to the leading priests, the captains of the Temple guard, and the elders who had come for him. "Am I some dangerous revolutionary," he asked, "that you come with swords and clubs to arrest me? Why didn't you arrest me in the Temple? I was there every day. But this is your moment, the time when the power of darkness reigns."

Luke 22:48-53 NLT

Key Thought​

We forget, I fear, that we don't live in this world alone. We face a foe seeking to harm us. [1] He seeks to disable, discredit, and destroy us. He will have his moments of victory, leading us to stumble and fall. There will be times on this earth when the power of darkness does reign. However, Satan is not the only unseen power and influence in this world. Jesus has promised to be with us, and he and his early disciples have promised that he can free us from Satan's power. [2] Because Jesus won the ultimate victory in this battle against Satan beginning on the Mount of Olives and leading to the cross but culminating in his victorious resurrection, our victory in our war against Satan, sin, and death is assured. Darkness had its moment, but it could not snuff out the light of God. [3] The light and love of God reign because of the victory of Jesus.

[1] Ephesians 2:2, 6:12.
[2] Matthew 28:20; John 14:23, 16:33; Galatians 2:20; Colossians 2:20; Revelation 3:20.
[3] John 1:4-5.

Today's Prayer​

Father, please never let me forget that in your Son, I have the ultimate victory. In his name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

I read this in version in Greek at a time when I was totally helpless once with nothing in my control. It reads the exact same in every Greek New Testament Translation, "καθ’ ἡμέραν ὄντος μου μεθ’ ὑμῶν ἐν τῷ ἱερῷ οὐκ ἐξετείνατε τὰς χεῖρας ἐπ’ ἐμέ· ἀλλ’ αὕτη ἐστὶν ὑμῶν ἡ ὥρα καὶ ἡ ἐξουσία τοῦ σκότους."

My translation is, "BUT THIS IS THE HOUR WHEN THE POWER OF DARKNESS IS PERMITTED TO HAVE FREEDOM AND AUTHORITY"

God was letting the evil one sift me like wheat (Luke 22:53). GOD WAS WITH ME THE WHOLE TIME BUT EVERYTHING WAS BEING DECIDED FOR ME. There are Job-like times when we are a spectacle to men and angels. All we can do is praise God like Paul and Silas in The Philippian jail (Acts 16). It might turn out for good speedily (as then in Philippi, or when everyone was praying Peter would not be killed like James had just been (Acts 12:5) and he was instead released (Acts 12:4-17).

It may take months or years to see why God allowed total silence and permitted darkness to have authority. Either way, He never leaves us or forsakes us so we might as well pray and sing praises like the Apostles in Philippi or take a nap like Peter.

hour
ὥρα (hōra)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5610: Apparently a primary word; an 'hour'.

belongs
ἐστὶν (estin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

to the
ἡ (hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

power
ἐξουσία (exousia)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1849: From exesti; privilege, i.e. force, capacity, competency, freedom, or mastery, delegated influence. PERMISSION, AUTHORITY...

e.g. -- "Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life" (Rev 2:10).
Or, Revelation 17:12
"The ten horns you saw are ten kings who have not yet received a kingdom, but will receive one hour of authority as kings, along with the beast."

of darkness.�
σκότους (skotous)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 4655: Darkness, either physical or moral. From the base of skia; shadiness, i.e. Obscurity. THE DEVIL

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
But even as Jesus [told the disciples to pray to avoid temptation], a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss. But Jesus said, "Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?" —Luke 22:47-48 NLT Key Thought The...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But the teachers of religious law who had arrived from Jerusalem said, "[Jesus is] possessed by Satan, the prince of demons. That's where he gets the power to cast out demons." Jesus called them over and responded with an illustration. "How can Satan cast out Satan?" he asked. "A kingdom...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The Festival of Unleavened Bread, which is also called Passover, was approaching. The leading priests and teachers of religious law were plotting how to kill Jesus, but they were afraid of the people's reaction. Then Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples, and he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But Jesus reprimanded [the evil spirit]. "Be quiet! Come out of the man," he ordered. At that, the evil spirit screamed, threw the man into a convulsion, and then came out of him. —Mark 1:25-26 NLT Key Thought Jesus had power over the evil one and the vile power he seeks to wield. Jesus...
Replies
Views
  • Article
When the time came, Jesus and the apostles sat down together at the table. Jesus said, "I have been very eager to eat this Passover meal with you before my suffering begins. For I tell you now that I won't eat this meal again until its meaning is fulfilled in the Kingdom of God." Then he took a...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom