'Shameful' - Mark 6:21-26

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Herodias's chance [for vengeance against John] finally came on Herod's birthday. He gave a party for his high government officials, army officers, and the leading citizens of Galilee. Then his daughter, also named Herodias, came in and performed a dance that greatly pleased Herod and his guests. "Ask me for anything you like," the king said to the girl, "and I will give it to you." He even vowed, "I will give you whatever you ask, up to half my kingdom!"
She went out and asked her mother, "What should I ask for?"

Her mother told her, "Ask for the head of John the Baptist!"

So the girl hurried back to the king and told him, "I want the head of John the Baptist, right now, on a tray!"

Then the king deeply regretted what he had said; but because of the vows he had made in front of his guests, he couldn't refuse her.

Mark 6:21-26 NLT

Key Thought​

This horrible story is a reminder that God's people often face direct opposition from those in power. Proclaiming truth does not always lead to pleasant short-term results for God's truth-telling people. John lost his life because of the unscrupulous desires of an immoral Herodias and the political cowardice of Herod — who added incest to his adultery by taking Herodias (his half-brother's wife and the daughter of another half-brother) as his own wife. Shamefulness and blatant sin hate truth-telling and will do whatever is necessary to hide the truth, including sometimes killing the truth-teller. So we shouldn't be surprised in our day when the truth is not desired and is often opposed by those who choose the way of immorality. Let's pray for truth-tellers! Let's ask God to make their influence felt and for their lives not to be lived in vain!

Today's Prayer​

O God, please protect and empower your truth-tellers. Make their voices effective. Keep their enemies from silencing them. When their ministry is complete, please bring them home to you with great joy. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
For Herod had sent soldiers to arrest and imprison John as a favor to Herodias. She had been his brother Philip's wife, but Herod had married her. John had been telling Herod, "It is against God's law for you to marry your brother's wife." So Herodias bore a grudge against John and wanted to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
So [Herod's daughter] hurried back to the king and told him, "I want the head of John the Baptist, right now, on a tray!" Then the king deeply regretted what he had said; but because of the vows he had made in front of his guests, he couldn't refuse her. So he immediately sent an executioner to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Herod Antipas, the king, soon heard about Jesus, because everyone was talking about him. Some were saying, "This must be John the Baptist raised from the dead. That is why he can do such miracles." Others said, "He's the prophet Elijah." Still others said, "He's a prophet like the other great...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Jesus left that part of the country and returned with his disciples to Nazareth, his hometown. The next Sabbath he began teaching in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. They asked, "Where did he get all this wisdom and the power to perform such miracles?" Then they scoffed, "He's...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then [Jesus] climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. [The disciples] were totally amazed, for they still didn't understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in. —Mark 6:51-52 NLT Key Thought The disciples couldn't get it! Maybe they...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom