Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end. There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.
—Proverbs 19:20-21 (KJV)
Long ago, Thomas à Kempis declared, "Man proposes, heaven disposes." Most of us rush to give advice and make grandiose plans. The Wiseman of Proverbs, likely Solomon, reminds us that wisdom comes from submitting to instruction and good advice - that requires discernment! Then, after a significant time of listening and considering, we can begin to align our hearts to the LORD's purposes. If you are like me, you would do much better to let your plans ripen a bit more in the light of the LORD's truth and wisdom from others before launching into living out those plans. I am comforted that James, the wisdom writer of the New Testament, reminded us that God will give that wisdom if we seek it and do not doubt (James 1:5-8). As we pray for wisdom, let's also pray for patience to listen, recognize, understand, and align our hearts with the LORD's truth, so we can recognize godly advice and good instruction as wisdom the LORD wants us to hear.
Almighty God, please teach me your ways and help me discern your paths for my life. I have so many plans and schemes, but I know that if they are not from you and aligned with your will, they will not stand. Please lead me to your wisdom, and I will not only seek to know it, but also live it by the power supplied by your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.
All scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION. © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Publishing House.
Continue reading...
—Proverbs 19:20-21 (KJV)
Thoughts on Today's Verse...
Long ago, Thomas à Kempis declared, "Man proposes, heaven disposes." Most of us rush to give advice and make grandiose plans. The Wiseman of Proverbs, likely Solomon, reminds us that wisdom comes from submitting to instruction and good advice - that requires discernment! Then, after a significant time of listening and considering, we can begin to align our hearts to the LORD's purposes. If you are like me, you would do much better to let your plans ripen a bit more in the light of the LORD's truth and wisdom from others before launching into living out those plans. I am comforted that James, the wisdom writer of the New Testament, reminded us that God will give that wisdom if we seek it and do not doubt (James 1:5-8). As we pray for wisdom, let's also pray for patience to listen, recognize, understand, and align our hearts with the LORD's truth, so we can recognize godly advice and good instruction as wisdom the LORD wants us to hear.
My Prayer...
Almighty God, please teach me your ways and help me discern your paths for my life. I have so many plans and schemes, but I know that if they are not from you and aligned with your will, they will not stand. Please lead me to your wisdom, and I will not only seek to know it, but also live it by the power supplied by your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.
All scripture quotations, unless otherwise indicated, are taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION. © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Publishing House.
Continue reading...
