'True Friends' - Matthew 9:1-3

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Jesus climbed into a boat and went back across the lake to his own town. Some people brought to him a paralyzed man on a mat. Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, "Be encouraged, my child! Your sins are forgiven."
But some of the teachers of religious law said to themselves, "That's blasphemy! Does he think he's God?"

Matthew 9:1-3 NLT

Key Thought​

True friends are friends that help us find Jesus and let him minister to our needs and brokenness. Like the unnamed friends in this story, we must come to realize that the best thing we can do for a friend is help that friend come to Jesus. Our faith can make a huge difference in the lives of those closest to us. What's so amazing about Jesus is that he ministers to our real need, not just our apparent need. The key is finding him, both finding him ourselves and helping others find him. He'll do the rest, working his will in our lives if we're truly willing to let him take control of our lives. Of course, he will work on what we most need, not necessarily what we most want. Unfortunately, there will always be those who will criticize us, along with Jesus, for doing his work. "It doesn't fit the way things are 'normally' done," they would accuse. "Precisely," I imagine Jesus saying, "something needs to be done differently enough to be truly redemptive. That's why I came!"

Today's Prayer​

Holy and generous God, I surrender to you all of my life. I confess that there are parts of my life and my heart that I sometimes try to keep hidden from you. But this story of Jesus reminds me that the only person I'm fooling and hurting is me. Heal what is broken in me. Take a look at it all, and humble me gently and remake me by your redemptive grace. In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
pOyYOm5OPEU

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
One day while Jesus was teaching, some Pharisees and teachers of religious law were sitting nearby. (It seemed that these men showed up from every village in all Galilee and Judea, as well as from Jerusalem.) And the Lord's healing power was strongly with Jesus. Some men came carrying a...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees watched Jesus closely. If he healed the man's hand, they planned to accuse him of working on the Sabbath. But Jesus knew their thoughts. He said to the man with the deformed hand, "Come and stand in front of everyone." So the man came forward...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us. They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples. Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write an accurate account for you...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But the Pharisees and teachers of religious law said to themselves, "Who does he think he is? That's blasphemy! Only God can forgive sins!" Jesus knew what they were thinking, so he asked them, "Why do you question this in your hearts? Is it easier to say 'Your sins are forgiven,' or 'Stand up...
Replies
Views
  • Article
John also publicly criticized Herod Antipas, the ruler of Galilee, for marrying Herodias, his brother's wife, and for many other wrongs he had done. So Herod put John in prison, adding this sin to his many others. —Luke 3:19-20 NLT Key Thought I've heard it said that our true character is...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom