'Concerned about the Hunger' - Mark 8:1-3

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

About this time another large crowd had gathered, and the people ran out of food again. Jesus called his disciples and told them, "I feel sorry for these people. They have been here with me for three days, and they have nothing left to eat. If I send them home hungry, they will faint along the way. For some of them have come a long distance."

Mark 8:1-3 NLT

Key Thought​

Two concerns are on Jesus' heart. First, he cares about the physical needs, especially the hunger, of the crowd that has been following him. Second, he wants to help his disciples learn to trust that he will help them minister in situations beyond their ability. In this story that begins in today's passage and continues in the following verses, Jesus will help make sure both concerns are addressed. For me, this story is a reminder that ministry needs to occur on two fronts. First, we need to be raising up folks to help minister to others, using the gifts that God has given them. That means involving them in ministry and helping them learn to depend on the Christ they serve. If you have a ministry in which you now serve, then get others involved with you! If you do not have a ministry, find someone working in an area in which you are interested and ask to go along and learn to minister with them. Second, we must care for the needs of others — not just their spiritual needs, but also their physical needs. Jesus shows us a powerful way to do both things at once in this story.

Today's Prayer​

Father, I pray that you will use me to serve others and to train others to serve. Please lead me to people I can effectively serve with your grace and help me not only to see the opportunity to serve, but also to follow through on that opportunity as well. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

About this time another large crowd had gathered, and the people ran out of food again. Jesus called his disciples and told them, "I feel sorry for these people. They have been here with me for three days, and they have nothing left to eat. If I send them home hungry, they will faint along the way. For some of them have come a long distance."

Mark 8:1-3 NLT

Key Thought​

Two concerns are on Jesus' heart. First, he cares about the physical needs, especially the hunger, of the crowd that has been following him. Second, he wants to help his disciples learn to trust that he will help them minister in situations beyond their ability. In this story that begins in today's passage and continues in the following verses, Jesus will help make sure both concerns are addressed. For me, this story is a reminder that ministry needs to occur on two fronts. First, we need to be raising up folks to help minister to others, using the gifts that God has given them. That means involving them in ministry and helping them learn to depend on the Christ they serve. If you have a ministry in which you now serve, then get others involved with you! If you do not have a ministry, find someone working in an area in which you are interested and ask to go along and learn to minister with them. Second, we must care for the needs of others — not just their spiritual needs, but also their physical needs. Jesus shows us a powerful way to do both things at once in this story.

Today's Prayer​

Father, I pray that you will use me to serve others and to train others to serve. Please lead me to people I can effectively serve with your grace and help me not only to see the opportunity to serve, but also to follow through on that opportunity as well. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
I hunger for Gods holy presence in my life. He is the satisfier of all needs. Just ask and ye shall receive.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Late in the afternoon [when Jesus was teaching a huge crowd,] his disciples came to him and said, "This is a remote place, and it's already getting late. Send the crowds away so they can go to the nearby farms and villages and buy something to eat." —Mark 6:35-36 NLT Key Thought At first...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus stopped the crowd and wouldn't let anyone go with him [to Jairus' house] except Peter, James, and John (the brother of James). —Mark 5:37 NLT Key Thought Jesus worked to grow people at all different levels of relationship and maturity. He invested especially in three apostles who...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus told the disciples to have the people sit down in groups on the green grass. So they sat down in groups of fifty or a hundred. Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and blessed them. Then, breaking the loaves into pieces, he kept giving the bread to the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But Jesus said [to the apostles], "You feed [the crowd]." "With what?" they asked. "We'd have to work for months to earn enough money to buy food for all these people!" "How much bread do you have?" he asked. "Go and find out." They came back and reported, "We have five loaves of bread and...
Replies
Views
  • Article
So the Pharisees and teachers of religious law asked [Jesus], "Why don't your disciples follow our age-old tradition? They eat without first performing the hand-washing ceremony." Jesus replied, "You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote, "For you ignore God's...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom