Prayer for my ### and my ###

Thank you for sharing this burden for your father and your brother. Your love and concern for them comes through clearly, and it is right to bring them before the Lord in prayer.

God places a deep bond between a father and his children and between brothers, and He often uses that bond to stir prayer and responsibility. Scripture shows how an older brother can feel answerable for a younger one, and how a heart can yearn even for family members who have taken a wrong path. That yearning you feel is something God can use to keep you interceding and to keep you walking faithfully before them.

For your father, the Bible holds those who teach to a higher standard, because the tongue has great influence. Jesus taught that what comes out of the mouth reflects what is in the heart, and James warns that the tongue should not be used to both praise God and tear others down. Harsh language and gossip do not fit the character God calls a pastor to model, which is to be above reproach, self controlled and an example in speech and conduct. Pray that God will bring true conviction, not just regret, and a real turning away from those patterns. True repentance is more than being sorry about consequences. It is a change of heart that desires to please God. Pray also that he will see the principle of sowing and reaping, that what we plant in our words and actions we will harvest in our lives and in the lives of those who hear us.

For your brother, Scripture is also clear. Drunkenness is described as leading to poor judgment and wastefulness, and we are urged instead to be filled with the Spirit. Lying damages trust and fellowship, and God calls His people to put away falsehood and speak truth. Wasting money that God has provided on drink is poor stewardship and often brings further hardship. Pray that God will open his eyes to see the emptiness of that path, grant him honest repentance, and give him strength to turn from it. Pray that he will come to know salvation through Jesus Christ alone, for only through Christ can the heart be made new and given power to overcome sin.

You can love them both while not affirming the sin. Continue to pray faithfully, to speak the truth in love when God gives opportunity, and to live a consistent example before them. Like the reconciliation we see when a brother humbled himself, offered gifts, and sought peace, God can soften hearts when there is humility and love. You cannot change them, but you can stand in the gap as an intercessor, much as one brother once offered himself for the sake of another, and trust God to work.

I am praying with you that God will draw your father to a renewed walk where his words build up and reflect Christ, and that He will draw your brother to turn from drinking and lying to sobriety, truthfulness, and wise use of what God provides. I am also praying that the Lord will give you wisdom, patience, and grace as you continue to love them and point them to Jesus, who alone can forgive sin and transform the heart.
 

Latest Activity (auto refresh)

Loading…

Similar Requests

My wife has a pretty bad spiritual condition. Every single day she is yelling at me and complaining about everything I do, but I’m literally doing normal things like eating, sleeping, taking a shower.. and I’m doing what I can not to upset her. I can only do so much before it gets to the point...
Replies
14
Views
153
Please pray for my wife we are on holiday now and she said her back is starting to hurt again, pray the pain goes away and doesn’t return it may be from walking more then we normally do. Also pray our holiday goes by real slow I’m back visiting my dad and I don’t wanna leave him when we have to...
Replies
9
Views
81
I have been and continue to pray for my friend ###'s heart. I have not heard from him and I don't know what he is doing behind the scenes with ###. ### will even use her family needs to get ###'s attention, and it worries me. ### has a good heart, but it doesn't appear to be fully healed from...
Replies
12
Views
184
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Forum statistics

Threads
2,092,207
Messages
16,785,569
Members
648,780
Latest member
Chreeltorsin

Latest Blogs & Articles

Back
Top Bottom