I'll process the title according to the redaction

I have to share this story because not only is it typical of what I deal with on the regular, but it also speaks to the leaven of the Pharisees that Jesus cautioned his followers about.

Last Sunday, a very churchy looking woman (i.e. dressed in "church clothes," carrying a bible) approached me and initiated a random conversation. After some time, she brought up Elisha, from that point, in discerning that she had likely read my blog entry, I somewhat withdrew my interaction with her. She made a point of emphasizing that the woman in the story had "perceived" that Elisha was a man of God. She made several indirect remarks suggesting that, "When you're a woman of God people ought to be able to see the God in you." I listened quietly as she imparted her own insight and perspective. Finally, I simply nodded in agreement and said to her, "I absolutely agree." By that time her bus had come and we bid one another pleasant farewell.

Now, discernment. Part of the leaven of the Pharisees was "Buffet Bible." Void of proper context, they often leaned to their own understanding. Though they rejected his knowledge, Jesus, in God's wisdom, continually sought to correct them. Therefore, to those who have ears to hear, I too will attempt to do likewise. The Shunammite woman was indeed perceptive. Howbeit, Elisha was not from Shunem which means that he was not dealing with his own hometown. Consequently, the story ultimately returns to one of the teachings, experiences, and prophesies of Jesus: Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his relatives and his own family.”
Mark 6:4 (NLT)

Yet, after all that unsolicited fervent misrepresentation of the Word, never once did she invite me to stay at her house: She didn't even bring a chicken plate from the church. But the Jews stirred up the devout and prominent women and the chief men of the city, raised up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region.
Acts 13:50 (NKJV)

All in all, it's nothing new. Not only didn't they recognize the God in Paul and Barnabas, Jesus's own hometown didn't recognize the God in him either. That wasn't due to any deficiency in Jesus, but rather Nazareth's own spiritual blindness (unbelief). There's nothing wrong with "looking the part." However, because anyone, starting with the devil, can put on a disguise, appearance is not the principle thing: But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7 (NLT)

The principle thing is a genuinely willing heart.

Side Story: This interaction reminded me somewhat of another encounter I had with a young lady about a year before Hurricane Harvey hit. As I was standing on the train platform between two universities, where I had been prophesying about a flood, a young lady, wearing a long-sleeved blouse buttoned up to her chin, an ankle-length skirt and carrying a huge Bible, marched up on to the platform and angrily clapped her hands at me three times. I said to her, "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You're bringing that lamentation upon this city." She looked at me like she had seen a ghost. It was obvious that, clad in my ripped jeans and a form-fitting tee with no Bible in sight, she had not expected me to know what she was doing, let alone reference Lamentations 2:15, the text from which she was misapplying God's Word. In her spiritual blindness, she, then; like the city, now simply failed to recognize.

There is nothing new under the sun.
​
 

Latest Activity (auto refresh)

Loading…

Similar Requests

Thank you Jesus my lord Savior for all blessings received. Please have my husband's heart soften towards our last conversation and have him text me soon. I pray this with gratitude in Jesus name amen
Replies
8
Views
132
prayers with me for a part of my body to be healed in Jesus name amen
Replies
11
Views
155
Lord kept me out of harm's way ### please need prayer for mercy protection from toxicity at work and home money blessing also healing with my friend ### I am going through a lot need grace and God's mercy badly only God can help me
Replies
12
Views
168
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Forum statistics

Threads
2,091,892
Messages
16,781,782
Members
648,450
Latest member
Graesaroanaire

Latest Blogs & Articles

Back
Top Bottom