'Outsiders and Insiders' - Mark 4:11-13

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[Jesus replied to the disciples,] "You are permitted to understand the secret of the Kingdom of God. But I use parables for everything I say to outsiders, so that the Scriptures might be fulfilled:
'When they see what I do,
they will learn nothing.
When they hear what I say,
they will not understand.
Otherwise, they will turn to me
and be forgiven.'"
Then Jesus said to them, "If you can't understand the meaning of this parable, how will you understand all the other parables?"

Mark 4:11-13 NLT

Key Thought​

Certain messages are appropriate for those who are inside the faith but make no sense to those outside the faith. These messages are not going to be understandable to those who do not share our faith and our worldview that arises from our faith. For instance: Christians see the story of the cross as a story of great power and sacrifice; non-Christians see it as something gross, gruesome, awful, ghastly, violent, appalling, horrific, or nonsensical. Jesus was preparing his specially selected followers for their ministries. He was focusing on giving them messages they could understand, but those outside their group would not understand. This situation is a great reminder that those who do not know Jesus will not understand many things we believe, teach, and say. We shouldn't get discouraged; this has always been true. Rather than becoming frustrated, we need to give thanks that God has made these things known to us and then find effective ways to introduce the people in our world to the grace of Jesus so that one day each of them can share in Jesus' truth.

Today's Prayer​

Father, I know that many people in the world do not understand much of what I dearly believe. Please give me the patience and courage to face their questions, attacks, and rejections. Use me to break down the barriers that are erected between them and me so that they can come to know Jesus as their LORD and Savior. In his name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
Later, when Jesus was alone with the twelve disciples and with the others who were gathered around, they asked him what the parables meant. He replied, "You are permitted to understand the secret of the Kingdom of God. But I use parables for everything I say to outsiders, ..." —Mark 4:10-11...
Replies
Views
  • Article
In fact, in [Jesus'] public ministry he never taught without using parables; but afterward, when he was alone with his disciples, he explained everything to them. —Mark 4:34 NLT Key Thought While the parables were mysteries to some, Jesus made sure his closest followers knew what he meant...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But soon a fierce storm came up [as Jesus and some disciples were crossing the Sea of Galilee]. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. —Mark 4:37 NLT Key Thought Storms are a part of life — even for Christians. In fact, storms are a part of life, ESPECIALLY...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Jesus used many similar stories and illustrations to teach the people as much as they could understand. —Mark 4:33 NLT Key Thought Jesus was an incredible teacher in his earthly ministry. He used common, everyday images as hooks on which to hang eternal truth. The people would see those...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But soon a fierce storm came up [as Jesus and some disciples were crossing the Sea of Galilee]. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, "Teacher, don't...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom