'New Wine' - Matthew 9:16-17

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[After pointing out that wedding guests do not fast, Jesus continued:] "Besides, who would patch old clothing with new cloth? For the new patch would shrink and rip away from the old cloth, leaving an even bigger tear than before.
"And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the old skins would burst from the pressure, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine is stored in new wineskins so that both are preserved."

Matthew 9:16-17 NLT

Key Thought​

None of us likes to give up something familiar or comfortable. This dislike is even more true when this "something" has been the controlling point for our view of reality, morality, and religion. So we have a tendency to plug something we like about a new experience or religion into our old religious context and try to make it fit. Jesus' point here is that what he brings cannot be made to fit in the old order and old forms of religion with which people are familiar. No, to do that would be destructive to both the old and the new. What Jesus brings is new, fresh, and transformational. It will rip apart anything that tries to force it into another way of doing, perceiving, and experiencing. The Kingdom family is God's way of doing life, not just another religion to be thrown into the world mix of faiths.

Today's Prayer​

Father, you are the one and true God. I come to you today asking you to strengthen my resolve and deepen my commitment to live according to your will revealed by Jesus. I confess to you that I find it easy to rationalize away the bite in some of Jesus' words and simply combine his teaching with what I already believe. Through your Spirit, I pray that you will help me see your truth in Jesus and lose my prejudices and prior preferences and beliefs. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
U1IML6q1yfM

Continue reading...

[After pointing out that wedding guests do not fast, Jesus continued:] "Besides, who would patch old clothing with new cloth? For the new patch would shrink and rip away from the old cloth, leaving an even bigger tear than before.
"And no one puts new wine into old wineskins. For the old skins would burst from the pressure, spilling the wine and ruining the skins. New wine is stored in new wineskins so that both are preserved."

Matthew 9:16-17 NLT

Key Thought​

None of us likes to give up something familiar or comfortable. This dislike is even more true when this "something" has been the controlling point for our view of reality, morality, and religion. So we have a tendency to plug something we like about a new experience or religion into our old religious context and try to make it fit. Jesus' point here is that what he brings cannot be made to fit in the old order and old forms of religion with which people are familiar. No, to do that would be destructive to both the old and the new. What Jesus brings is new, fresh, and transformational. It will rip apart anything that tries to force it into another way of doing, perceiving, and experiencing. The Kingdom family is God's way of doing life, not just another religion to be thrown into the world mix of faiths.

Today's Prayer​

Father, you are the one and true God. I come to you today asking you to strengthen my resolve and deepen my commitment to live according to your will revealed by Jesus. I confess to you that I find it easy to rationalize away the bite in some of Jesus' words and simply combine his teaching with what I already believe. Through your Spirit, I pray that you will help me see your truth in Jesus and lose my prejudices and prior preferences and beliefs. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
U1IML6q1yfM

Continue reading...
Lord make Your people wake up! Our politics and laws need to CONFORM TO YOUR WORD. Not destroy it by PC pushed by our churches to soothe feelings and make your word null and void. Open your bibles and read and believe = "Behold I make all things new." Get our old skins full of the new wine of God's living word.

Give us o Lord a new wine to renew our faith in You and to live according to Your word. Help us and give us wisdom to continue on to the price that is set for us in heaven.

Give us o Lord a new wine to renew our faith in You and to live according to Your word. Help us and give us wisdom to continue on to the price that is set for us in heaven.
Yes! Your living word You send out to do what You want it to do for You Lord. It will not come back to you unfruitful! Let Your harvest be greater please! Have mercy on the worst of us and please rob the lying murderer of stealing their lives into torment. Give us prophets who preach REPENT instead of fairytales of You being pleased as American Christians live and vote covet, steal, pervert, bear false witness and KILL. PC Christians fed by PC churches are leading our children so astray that they REJECT Your word to keep manmade laws and sinful causes. This is what got Israel led into captivity Lord! We have Your word to prove it!

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
[Jesus continued,] "Until John the Baptist, the law of Moses and the messages of the prophets were your guides. But now the Good News of the Kingdom of God is preached, and everyone is eager to get in. But that doesn't mean that the law has lost its force. It is easier for heaven and earth to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One of [the ten lepers], when he saw that he was healed, came back to Jesus, shouting, "Praise God!" He fell to the ground at Jesus' feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan. —Luke 17:15-16 NLT Key Thought How do we respond when our cry for mercy receives our desired...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Concerning conditions at his return, Jesus continued,] "And the world will be as it was in the days of Lot. People went about their daily business — eating and drinking, buying and selling, farming and building — until the morning Lot left Sodom. Then fire and burning sulfur rained down from...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The apostles said to the Lord, "Show us how to increase our faith." —Luke 17:5 NLT Key Thought How refreshing! The disciples were amazingly honest: "We need more faith!" I've been there; haven't you? They wanted more. They wanted to know how to acquire more faith. So what did they do? They...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Concluding the story about the unscrupulous manager, Jesus said,] "The rich man had to admire the dishonest rascal for being so shrewd. And it is true that the children of this world are more shrewd in dealing with the world around them than are the children of the light. Here's the lesson: Use...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom