'Day of Preparation' - Mark 15:42

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[Jesus' crucifixion] happened on Friday, the day of preparation, the day before the Sabbath.

Mark 15:42 NLT

Key Thought​

We have lost almost all sense of a day of preparation for a holy day with God. Unfortunately, many Christians have lost their sense of the specialness of the first day of the week (Sunday) and let many other things crowd in and distort a day to be with God and his people. To challenge folks to spend Saturday preparing for this day is almost unthinkable to many in our busy world. Yet, no matter what else was happening, the Jews in Jesus' day took notice and made advance preparations to honor their Sabbath with God. There are two judgments rendered by this one short verse. First, ritual observance of days does not make us holy, because it is so easy to do the ritual and forget the righteous call of God — the horrible acts of the people directed at Jesus are proof of this truth. Second, in our day, we have lost the sense of holy because we have allowed all days to become the same — busy days to get done what we want to do and then squeeze our "God-time" in where it fits. How sad on both accounts.

Today's Prayer​

O Father, please give me a proper sense of what is holy. I do not want to be a legalistic ritual keeper; yet, at the same time, I do not want to drain all of life of its spiritual meaning by secularizing all time. Teach me to know your will, your time, and your holy ways. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2020 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
SZ4ZDBVTAQY

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
After the wedding [Jesus] went to Capernaum for a few days with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples. —John 2:12 NLT Key Thought Ministry can be euphoric. Ministry can be discouraging. Ministry can be dangerous. In fact, the euphoria can be more dangerous than the discouragement. Many...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Jesus cleared the Temple of the money changers and animals,] his disciples remembered this prophecy from the Scriptures: "Passion for God's house will consume me." —John 2:17 NLT Key Thought What's your passion? Does your passion include God's house, the temple where he lives today...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Continuing his talk with Nicodemus, Jesus said,] "And as Moses lifted up the bronze snake on a pole in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, so that everyone who believes in him will have eternal life." —John 3:14-15 NLT Key Thought The Greek word for "lifted up" usually means...
Replies
Views
  • Article
God sent a man, John the Baptist, to tell about the light so that everyone might believe because of his testimony. —John 1:6-7 NLT Key Thought For most of us to have heard the message of Christ, there had to be a "John" for us! Who was your "John"? Who prepared the soil of your heart to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Talking about the end time, Jesus continued:] "So you, too, must keep watch! For you don't know what day your Lord is coming. Understand this: If a homeowner knew exactly when a burglar was coming, he would keep watch and not permit his house to be broken into. You also must be ready all the...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom