'Authority, Part 1' - Matthew 9:3-8

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

But some of the teachers of religious law said to themselves, "That's blasphemy [when Jesus told the paralyzed man his sins were forgiven]! Does he think he's God?"
Jesus knew what they were thinking, so he asked them, "Why do you have such evil thoughts in your hearts? Is it easier to say 'Your sins are forgiven,' or 'Stand up and walk'? So I will prove to you that the Son of Man has the authority on earth to forgive sins." Then Jesus turned to the paralyzed man and said, "Stand up, pick up your mat, and go home!"

And the man jumped up and went home! Fear swept through the crowd as they saw this happen. And they praised God for giving humans such authority.

Matthew 9:3-8 NLT

Key Thought​

Jesus has authority! All authority! Not just on the earth, but in heaven. While we may be amazed at the miracles of Jesus, his power over nature, his power over disease, his power over death, and his power over sin are of ultimate importance to us. He can liberate us from sin's hold and set us free. We can be forgiven, cleansed, and delivered from sin. While giving a paralytic back his ability to walk is amazing, giving us forgiveness of sin is saving!

Today's Prayer​

Almighty God, thank you for sending Jesus to be the atoning sacrifice for my sin. Thank you that you loved me so much that you emptied heaven of your sinless Son so he could ransom me from my sin. Thank you that I can stand before you without spot or blemish and be free from any accusation and be holy in your sight because of Jesus' forgiveness. It is in his precious name that I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Kg_B6MnEpFM

Continue reading...

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
It requires obedience to the voice of the Lord. Take your math and walk. He did and guess what. The man was healed because he believed and obey Jesus command. A great example for us. Hearing what God told us to do is what bring blessings to our life.

Similar Requests

• Article
[John the Baptizer said to his disciples,] "For [Jesus] is sent by God. He speaks God's words, for God gives him the Spirit without limit. The Father loves his Son and has put everything into his hands." —John 3:34-35 NLT Key Thought Jesus is THE authority! [1] Jesus has the authority over...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[About the man who had been healed, John wrote:] But afterward Jesus found him in the Temple and told him, "Now you are well; so stop sinning, or something even worse may happen to you." Then the man went and told the Jewish leaders that it was Jesus who had healed him. —John 5:14-15 NLT Key...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued,] "If I were to testify on my own behalf, my testimony would not be valid. But someone else is also testifying about me, and I assure you that everything he says about me is true." —John 5:31-32 NLT Key Thought Jesus didn't claim his authority as Son of God just on his own...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Philip said that even wages from months of work wouldn't be sufficient to feed the crowd following Jesus] Andrew, Simon Peter's brother, spoke up. "There's a young boy here with five barley loaves and two fish. But what good is that with this huge crowd?" —John 6:8-9 NLT Key Thought...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But the Jewish leaders demanded [of Jesus], "What are you doing? If God gave you authority to [clear the Temple of the money changers and animals], show us a miraculous sign to prove it." "All right," Jesus replied. "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." "What!" they...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom