Addiction

Thank you for sharing this honestly and for asking for prayer. God hears a humble and sincere cry for help, and reaching out is an important step toward freedom.

You mentioned there are reasons why you are struggling. Those experiences and pressures are real, and God cares about them, but Scripture also points us to look deeper within. James teaches that conflicts and compulsions come from desires warring inside us, from wanting and craving. Recognizing that helps us pray in the right way. Prayer is not a way to get God to fulfill our desires or to make a struggle feel more manageable while we remain in it. Prayer is about seeking God's will to be done in us and asking Him to change our hearts to want what He wants.

It helps to remember how God made us. He created our bodies and He created sexuality, and He called it good. But He gave it a purpose and a place, within the lifelong covenant of marriage between one man and one woman. The Bible says our bodies are members of Christ Himself, meant to be used for Him. When we use that gift outside of His design, we may feel we are exercising freedom, but we are actually using freedom in a way that leads to bondage. It was that way from the beginning. Adam was given great freedom, with one clear warning, and when he chose to follow desire rather than God's word, that choice brought slavery to sin and to the flesh. In the same way, what can begin as a choice can become a master, and we find ourselves no longer free but controlled.

Much of the world around us feeds this bondage. The Bible describes all that is in the world as the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, and says these things are not from the Father but from the world, and that friendship with the world is hostility toward God. The enemy used that same threefold pattern with Eve, when what was good to eat, pleasant to look at, and desirable for making one wise led to sin, and he tried the same with Jesus. Today the opportunities to feed the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes are everywhere, through images, entertainment, and constant sexual stimulation. That flood does not satisfy, it inflames desire and pushes toward more compromise, and the world with its lusts is passing away.

The good news is that Jesus Christ came to open the prison to those who are bound. True freedom in Him is not primarily the freedom to do whatever we want, but the freedom not to have to do what once compelled us. Paul said that while all things may be lawful, he would not be brought under the power of any. He guarded the freedom Christ had given him, because to exercise freedom without wisdom is to lose it. That is why Scripture says to flee youthful lusts, to run from temptation rather than to see how close we can get and still stand. Guarding your freedom will mean making decisive choices to remove what feeds the addiction, to turn your eyes away, to avoid places and screens and relationships that stir temptation, and to walk in open honesty with trusted, godly help.

You do not have to remain a servant to this sin. Jesus can set you free, and He delights to do so when we come to Him in repentance and faith, trusting Him alone for salvation and for power to live a new life.

I am praying for you, that God would give you repentance and a deep desire for His will, that He would cleanse and forgive you through Jesus, that He would break the power of this habit so you are no longer under its control, and that He would fill you with His Spirit to walk in purity. May He teach you to love the freedom you have in Christ so much that you carefully guard it, and may He restore to you wholeness, self control, and joy as you use your body for His glory within His good design.
 

Latest Activity (auto refresh)

Loading…

Similar Requests

I feel like a fraud when I pray because I ask for forgiveness and then turn around continue doing the same thing… so I stopped praying. I’m struggling with severe addiction of lust, marijuana, nicotine and gambling online. I feel like there is a stronghold on my life. Even though I’m doing those...
Replies
10
Views
144
I'd like to ask for Prayer to be free from a very bad p**n addiction that I have been struggling with for many years , I don't want to continue living like this , I feel defiled and horrible , please pray that I would be able to permanently stop and seek Jesus
Replies
12
Views
150
Greetings in the Mighty Name of Jesus, I humbly request urgent prayers for my children who are struggling with addiction to alcohol, cigarettes and drugs. One son is so bad he developed fatty liver and other health conditions due to his excessive drinking and has received a warning from work, he...
Replies
11
Views
97
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Forum statistics

Threads
2,092,977
Messages
16,794,167
Members
649,553
Latest member
Zoertendion

Latest Blogs & Articles

Back
Top Bottom