VANITY

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Someone pointed this scripture out to me last week, and it was also in my scripture of the day app (no coincidences). It's actually one of my favorite scriptures:

There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God. (Ecclesiastes 2:24, KJV)

Enjoying the fruits of our labor is a good thing, but it's not all there is to life; particularly life in the Spirit. People get themselves into so much trouble with buffet bible. Even referencing this passage, if we'll simply back up a few verses, we can begin to understand the context in which Solomon was speaking.

Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 2:11)

Solomon was basically saying that while it is admirable and advantageous for us to work with our hands, so that we can enjoy the fruits of our labor, we must be careful not to overvalue our works. The spirit of arrogance can set our works against us, leading us to a place of emptiness in our souls. In the whole scheme of things, man's work is but vanity. But, why would Solomon say such a thing? The work of man's hands is generally, all about himself: building his own personal wealth, his own personal portfolio, and attaining the things that give him personal satisfaction. Self, self, self. The works of the Lord focuses on kingdom building which, not only prospers all of mankind through salvation, but most importantly, prospers God in helping to reclaim His inheritance:

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:26a)

Solomon then goes on to reinforce what Job first said regarding our possessions, in that we brought nothing into this world.

And I hated everything I'd accomplished and accumulated on this earth. I can't take it with me—no, I have to leave it to whoever comes after me. Whether they're worthy or worthless—and who's to tell?—they'll take over the earthly results of my intense thinking and hard work. Smoke. (Ecclesiastes 2:18, MSG)

And in fact, Solomon does repeat the words of Job, almost verbatim in chapter 5:

As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand. (Ecclesiastes 5:15)

The work of man's hands, though important, is but vanity before the Lord, because not only are we predisposed to boasting in ourselves, we are also geared towards lording our accomplishments and riches over others, particularly those of lesser means.

I am well aware of the rewards of conventional employment. I have been blessed to have worked for some of the best companies in the world, and certainly my resume and skill-set rivals the best in my field, and though I look forward to it again: Still, it is all but vanity. But, the call to ministry is a very different undertaking. It's all about God. Not only do we get to serve God in the capacity to which He calls us, we then have the privilege of watching His Word come to pass; wherefore we boast in the Lord, the Sovereign One from whom all things including the hands, with which we do our works, are given.

The problem with Buffet bible is that it allows people to ignore parts of the Word that they don’t necessarily favor. For example, God, in setting us apart for Himself, calls some people away from their conventional jobs, even if but for a time. He knows what He is doing. What's interesting is that some church leaders somehow expect that Jesus is preparing a place for them in heaven; yet, they conveniently dismiss the part where they are commissioned to prepare a place for fellow workers here on earth. Nothing is more important than the works of the LORD. If one part of the Word is true, it's all true.

Nevertheless,

Joyful Tribute: I’ve been reading the Word for years: longer than some; but, nowhere near as long as others. Yet, each and every time I read it, either I gain deeper understanding, or I glean something altogether new. Now perhaps this is old news to most; but , just let me have my moment, OK. Not only was David, that man after God’s own heart, a shepherd boy, warrior, and king; but, recently, in revisiting the text, I learned that he was also a prophet. Likewise, David’s son, Solomon, was himself not only the wisest man in the Bible, and a king, but he was also a preacher. Just a joyful tribute to the never-ending knowledge of the Word of God; Whom I love so very much.

This CHR✝️STmas, and all year-round, He truly is the gift that keeps on giving. Nothing vain about that.

Thank You LORD

Recommended Reading: Ecclesiastes Ch. 2

Someone pointed this scripture out to me last week, and it was also in my scripture of the day app (no coincidences). It's actually one of my favorite scriptures:

There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour. This also I saw, that it was from the hand of God. (Ecclesiastes 2:24, KJV)

Enjoying the fruits of our labor is a good thing, but it's not all there is to life; particularly life in the Spirit. People get themselves into so much trouble with buffet bible. Even referencing this passage, if we'll simply back up a few verses, we can begin to understand the context in which Solomon was speaking.

Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 2:11)

Solomon was basically saying that while it is admirable and advantageous for us to work with our hands, so that we can enjoy the fruits of our labor, we must be careful not to overvalue our works. The spirit of arrogance can set our works against us, leading us to a place of emptiness in our souls. In the whole scheme of things, man's work is but vanity. But, why would Solomon say such a thing? The work of man's hands is generally, all about himself: building his own personal wealth, his own personal portfolio, and attaining the things that give him personal satisfaction. Self, self, self. The works of the Lord focuses on kingdom building which, not only prospers all of mankind through salvation, but most importantly, prospers God in helping to reclaim His inheritance:

For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:26a)

Solomon then goes on to reinforce what Job first said regarding our possessions, in that we brought nothing into this world.

And I hated everything I'd accomplished and accumulated on this earth. I can't take it with me—no, I have to leave it to whoever comes after me. Whether they're worthy or worthless—and who's to tell?—they'll take over the earthly results of my intense thinking and hard work. Smoke. (Ecclesiastes 2:18, MSG)

And in fact, Solomon does repeat the words of Job, almost verbatim in chapter 5:

As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand. (Ecclesiastes 5:15)

The work of man's hands, though important, is but vanity before the Lord, because not only are we predisposed to boasting in ourselves, we are also geared towards lording our accomplishments and riches over others, particularly those of lesser means.

I am well aware of the rewards of conventional employment. I have been blessed to have worked for some of the best companies in the world, and certainly my resume and skill-set rivals the best in my field, and though I look forward to it again: Still, it is all but vanity. But, the call to ministry is a very different undertaking. It's all about God. Not only do we get to serve God in the capacity to which He calls us, we then have the privilege of watching His Word come to pass; wherefore we boast in the Lord, the Sovereign One from whom all things including the hands, with which we do our works, are given.

The problem with Buffet bible is that it allows people to ignore parts of the Word that they don’t necessarily favor. For example, God, in setting us apart for Himself, calls some people away from their conventional jobs, even if but for a time. He knows what He is doing. What's interesting is that some church leaders somehow expect that Jesus is preparing a place for them in heaven; yet, they conveniently dismiss the part where they are commissioned to prepare a place for fellow workers here on earth. Nothing is more important than the works of the LORD. If one part of the Word is true, it's all true.

Nevertheless,

Joyful Tribute: I’ve been reading the Word for years: longer than some; but, nowhere near as long as others. Yet, each and every time I read it, either I gain deeper understanding, or I glean something altogether new. Now perhaps this is old news to most; but , just let me have my moment, OK. Not only was David, that man after God’s own heart, a shepherd boy, warrior, and king; but, recently, in revisiting the text, I learned that he was also a prophet. Likewise, David’s son, Solomon, was himself not only the wisest man in the Bible, and a king, but he was also a preacher. Just a joyful tribute to the never-ending knowledge of the Word of God; Whom I love so very much.

This CHR✝️STmas, and all year-round, He truly is the gift that keeps on giving. Nothing vain about that.
Thank You LORD

Recommended Reading: Ecclesiastes Ch. 2
Gods blessings continually come to our life and we should be grateful of our health Jesus has given to us, if we are sick we can not enjoy anything at all, but with the blessings of God, with good health and wonderful spirit to praise His name, we can bless His name. Something happened and I know, He touched me and made me whole.

Vanity of vanities... said the preacher. Without the Lord in our life, everything becomes useless and emptiness falls in our heart. With Jesus all things comes alive and well. O Lord, I want to offer a sacrifice of praise, fill this temple Lord with Thy spirit o Lord to know the truth and nothing but the truth.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
The Conclusion of The Matter As yet another year draws to an end, I leave you with the same conclusion to which Solomon arrived: After all this, there is only one thing to say: Have reverence for God, and obey His commands, because this is all that we were created for. God is going to judge...
Replies
Views
  • Article
It is in the moments of greatest trial that we find our greatest need to follow in his steps. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips. When he was...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Leviticus 19:4 Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 26:1 You shall not make idols for yourselves; neither a carved image nor a sacred pillar shall you rear up for yourselves; nor shall you set up an engraved stone in your land, to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I would like to say that spiritual growth is not about suppressing who you are but discovering your true identity in Christ. Sometimes, I find myself studying the Word of God. It said: Lord, my heart is not haughty, Nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The Stoning Of Stephen I cried, I grieved, and I pondered his story ALL day, and now it seems to be an everyday thing. But I don't understand why I wept ALL day. I didn't even know Stephen. His story seemed to be very short, yet, I mourned him. But Stephen SAW the heavens opened up, he SAW the...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom