'Treacherous Religious Leaders' - Luke 23:5-12

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[After Pilate said he found nothing wrong with Jesus, his accusers] became insistent. "But he is causing riots by his teaching wherever he goes — all over Judea, from Galilee to Jerusalem!"
"Oh, is he a Galilean?" Pilate asked. When they said that he was, Pilate sent him to Herod Antipas, because Galilee was under Herod's jurisdiction, and Herod happened to be in Jerusalem at the time.

Herod was delighted at the opportunity to see Jesus, because he had heard about him and had been hoping for a long time to see him perform a miracle. He asked Jesus question after question, but Jesus refused to answer. Meanwhile, the leading priests and the teachers of religious law stood there shouting their accusations. Then Herod and his soldiers began mocking and ridiculing Jesus. Finally, they put a royal robe on him and sent him back to Pilate. (Herod and Pilate, who had been enemies before, became friends that day.)

Luke 23:5-12 NLT

Key Thought​

The trials of Jesus were nothing more than mock trials. None of them was about justice. The Sanhedrin (the Jewish council) accused Jesus of one thing in their own meeting [1] and then of something else before Pilate. [2] Pilate pronounced Jesus innocent, [3] yet kept the pseudo legal proceedings going for political expediency. Herod had no desire to do the right thing; he was determined to do the politically convenient thing. This process was nothing more than treachery. Jesus was not treated fairly. He did not receive justice. What was done to him was what God decried throughout the Old Testament through the prophets — there was no justice in the courts, and those with money and power misused their influence. Sinners and traitors convicted Jesus. He was the innocent lamb led to slaughter. He was the perfect sacrifice for all who are sinners ... even for us and for those who put him to death.

[1] Luke 22:66, 70-71.
[2] Luke 23:1-2.
[3] Luke 23:4.

Today's Prayer​

Father, it breaks my heart to see your Son treated with such treachery. While it angers me, it also helps me bear those times when I am treated unfairly. I know that Jesus is with me in those times and that he more than understands my emotions. Jesus, thank you for walking in our unfair and often cruel world as one of us so that we can share eternity with you. In your name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
[After Pilate said he found nothing wrong with Jesus, his accusers] became insistent. "But he is causing riots by his teaching wherever he goes — all over Judea, from Galilee to Jerusalem!"
"Oh, is he a Galilean?" Pilate asked. When they said that he was, Pilate sent him to Herod Antipas, because Galilee was under Herod's jurisdiction, and Herod happened to be in Jerusalem at the time.

Herod was delighted at the opportunity to see Jesus, because he had heard about him and had been hoping for a long time to see him perform a miracle. He asked Jesus question after question, but Jesus refused to answer. Meanwhile, the leading priests and the teachers of religious law stood there shouting their accusations. Then Herod and his soldiers began mocking and ridiculing Jesus. Finally, they put a royal robe on him and sent him back to Pilate. (Herod and Pilate, who had been enemies before, became friends that day.)

Luke 23:5-12 NLT

Key Thought​

The trials of Jesus were nothing more than mock trials. None of them was about justice. The Sanhedrin (the Jewish council) accused Jesus of one thing in their own meeting [1] and then of something else before Pilate. [2] Pilate pronounced Jesus innocent, [3] yet kept the pseudo legal proceedings going for political expediency. Herod had no desire to do the right thing; he was determined to do the politically convenient thing. This process was nothing more than treachery. Jesus was not treated fairly. He did not receive justice. What was done to him was what God decried throughout the Old Testament through the prophets — there was no justice in the courts, and those with money and power misused their influence. Sinners and traitors convicted Jesus. He was the innocent lamb led to slaughter. He was the perfect sacrifice for all who are sinners ... even for us and for those who put him to death.

[1] Luke 22:66, 70-71.
[2] Luke 23:1-2.
[3] Luke 23:4.

Today's Prayer​

Father, it breaks my heart to see your Son treated with such treachery. While it angers me, it also helps me bear those times when I am treated unfairly. I know that Jesus is with me in those times and that he more than understands my emotions. Jesus, thank you for walking in our unfair and often cruel world as one of us so that we can share eternity with you. In your name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Lovely 🌹🛡️

Similar Requests

• Article
[After Pilate pronounced Jesus innocent,] a mighty roar rose from the crowd, and with one voice they shouted, "Kill him, and release Barabbas to us!" (Barabbas was in prison for taking part in an insurrection in Jerusalem against the government, and for murder.) Pilate argued with them, because...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then the entire council took Jesus to Pilate, the Roman governor. They began to state their case: "This man has been leading our people astray by telling them not to pay their taxes to the Roman government and by claiming he is the Messiah, a king." So Pilate asked him, "Are you the king of the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Pilate called together the leading priests and other religious leaders, along with the people, and he announced his verdict. "You brought this man to me, accusing him of leading a revolt. I have examined him thoroughly on this point in your presence and find him innocent. Herod came to the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Jesus' confrontation with the Pharisees about healing on the Sabbath,] the Pharisees went away and met with the supporters of Herod to plot how to kill Jesus. —Mark 3:6 NLT Key Thought When we get into a defensive posture toward those who disagree with us religiously, we can very...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Now there was a good and righteous man named Joseph. He was a member of the Jewish high council, but he had not agreed with the decision and actions of the other religious leaders. He was from the town of Arimathea in Judea, and he was waiting for the Kingdom of God to come. He went to Pilate...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom