'Settling in on Death's Necessities' - Mark 16:1

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Saturday evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome went out and purchased burial spices so they could anoint Jesus' body.

Mark 16:1 NLT

Key Thought​

Death brings with it harsh realities. The physical absence of the person who died and the decay of the physical body are two of the harshest. The women in today's verse were doing what was expected and what was necessary when a loved one in Jesus' day died. At the time, people showed their honor and respect by preparing the dead body properly. When people we love die, there are necessities that have to be handled. As difficult as these necessities are, they help reinforce that the person is gone from us. Our emotions settle in on the absence of that person and all that it means. The toughest reality about grief is that the only way past it is to go through it. Though not ready to give up Jesus to death, these women did what was necessary — both for the dead body and for their aching spirits — by preparing to take care of the body properly.

Today's Prayer​

O Father, to lose a loved one is so terribly difficult, especially for those who have lost loved ones to death during this time of year. Please give your blessings and sustaining grace through this time. Help us to take comfort and find hope that victory and reunion await those who belong to Christ. Give those who are mourning strength and courage to hold on to that hope — a hope that is ours because your Son came to earth as one of us, died as one of us, and was raised as the first of us to permanently defeat death. For this victory, I thank you. In Jesus' mighty name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2020 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
k4o4WnJ7NIM

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
After [Jesus] was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered he had said ["Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up"], and they believed both the Scriptures and what Jesus had said. —John 2:22 NLT Key Thought We often feel that our faith would be greatly bolstered if we...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[At Jesus' empty tomb, the angel said to the women:] "He isn't here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. Come, see where his body was lying. And now, go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and he is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Early on Sunday morning [after Jesus' crucifixion and burial], as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to visit the tomb. Suddenly there was a great earthquake! For an angel of the Lord came down from heaven, rolled aside the stone, and sat on it. His face shone...
Replies
Views
  • Article
At noon [when Jesus was being crucified], darkness fell across the whole land until three o'clock. At about three o'clock, Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" which means "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" Some of the bystanders misunderstood and thought...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[About Jesus, John the Baptizer said,] "He is the one I was talking about when I said, 'A man is coming after me who is far greater than I am, for he existed long before me.'" —John 1:30 NLT Key Thought What John says in this verse sounds kind of like a broken record. [1] John the Baptizer...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom