'Gloom or Anticipation?' - Mark 16:1-2

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Saturday evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James, and Salome went out and purchased burial spices so they could anoint Jesus' body. Very early on Sunday morning, just at sunrise, they went to the tomb.

Mark 16:1-2 NLT

Key Thought​

This passage is filled with anticipation for those of us who live on this side of Jesus' resurrection. However, try to imagine what it was like for those women who had supported Jesus with their funds, had honored him with their discipleship, and were broken-hearted because of his death! Their walk to the tomb was an act of love and faithfulness. In the slowly gathering light of the early morning, their walk would have been a walk of agony and deep grief. Despite the danger of being identified with Jesus, despite the heaviness of their hearts, and despite the early hour of their walk to the tomb, these women still came to honor Christ. What excuse do you and I have for not coming to honor him? As we approach our times together with other Christians who assemble to honor Jesus, let's do so with anticipation, not gloom. "The Lord's Day" is not only the day these women met the resurrected Jesus (Matthew 28:8-9); it is also our primary day of assembling to remember Jesus and his birth, life, death, burial, and resurrection. Let's approach this day with anticipation and joy in our hearts!

Today's Prayer​

Father, make my heart glad to be with your people and meet the resurrected Jesus when we assemble in his name. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2020 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
-b0P1Lzk4ig

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
After [Jesus] was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered he had said ["Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up"], and they believed both the Scriptures and what Jesus had said. —John 2:22 NLT Key Thought We often feel that our faith would be greatly bolstered if we...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Early on Sunday morning [after Jesus' crucifixion and burial], as the new day was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went out to visit the tomb. Suddenly there was a great earthquake! For an angel of the Lord came down from heaven, rolled aside the stone, and sat on it. His face shone...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[At Jesus' empty tomb, the angel said to the women:] "He isn't here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. Come, see where his body was lying. And now, go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and he is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The next day [after Jesus' crucifixion], on the Sabbath, the leading priests and Pharisees went to see Pilate. They told him, "Sir, we remember what that deceiver once said while he was still alive: 'After three days I will rise from the dead.' So we request that you seal the tomb until the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then the eleven disciples left for Galilee, going to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him — but some of them doubted! —Matthew 28:16-17 NLT Key Thought "Eleven disciples." Wow, what a vivid reminder of the failures they had been — it was so bad...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom