'Remember Who the Boss Is!' - John 3:25-27

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

A debate broke out between John's disciples and a certain Jew over ceremonial cleansing. So John's disciples came to him and said, "Rabbi, the man you met on the other side of the Jordan River, the one you identified as the Messiah, is also baptizing people. [1] And everybody is going to him instead of coming to us."

John replied, "No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven."

[1] See the note in yesterday's What Jesus Did devotional.

John 3:25-27 NLT

Key Thought​

One of the most important questions you will ever answer is this: For whom do you work? No matter what your job or vocation, this is a vital question. Do you work to please yourself? Do you work to please your boss? Do you work to impress your peers or your superiors? Or, do you work to please God? So much of our angst and frustration comes back to this one crucial point: If we are Christians, we work to please God. Whatever our jobs, if we work in ways and with attitudes that are in accordance with God's will, we don't have to be bitter or jealous about someone else getting the attention, even undeserved attention. If God is pleased, our life is a success. So let's ask God to reveal his job for us, and then let's do it with joy and passion.

Today's Prayer​

Father, give me a heart like John the Baptizer. I want to find joy and satisfaction in doing your work for my life. Give me a heart that is satisfied with pleasing you. Give me a heart that doesn't succumb to envy and jealousy when other people get more attention for what they do. When my life is over, dear Father, please help me to have lived in such a way that I can hear your words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."* In the name of Jesus. Amen.
* Matthew 25:21.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2022 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

A debate broke out between John's disciples and a certain Jew over ceremonial cleansing. So John's disciples came to him and said, "Rabbi, the man you met on the other side of the Jordan River, the one you identified as the Messiah, is also baptizing people. [1] And everybody is going to him instead of coming to us."

John replied, "No one can receive anything unless God gives it from heaven."

[1] See the note in yesterday's What Jesus Did devotional.

John 3:25-27 NLT

Key Thought​

One of the most important questions you will ever answer is this: For whom do you work? No matter what your job or vocation, this is a vital question. Do you work to please yourself? Do you work to please your boss? Do you work to impress your peers or your superiors? Or, do you work to please God? So much of our angst and frustration comes back to this one crucial point: If we are Christians, we work to please God. Whatever our jobs, if we work in ways and with attitudes that are in accordance with God's will, we don't have to be bitter or jealous about someone else getting the attention, even undeserved attention. If God is pleased, our life is a success. So let's ask God to reveal his job for us, and then let's do it with joy and passion.

Today's Prayer​

Father, give me a heart like John the Baptizer. I want to find joy and satisfaction in doing your work for my life. Give me a heart that is satisfied with pleasing you. Give me a heart that doesn't succumb to envy and jealousy when other people get more attention for what they do. When my life is over, dear Father, please help me to have lived in such a way that I can hear your words, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."* In the name of Jesus. Amen.
* Matthew 25:21.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2022 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
I want Jesus to lead my life and after I am gone, I will be with Him in heaven forever. Amen

Let Us Pray: God in Jesus’ name I bring my petitions to You, trusting that both Your “yes” and Your “no” are given in all-knowing compassion. Teach me to hear Your voice and sense Your prompting in response to my requests. God please do the same for The Encourager, Ms. Linda. In Jesus’ name I pray.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Then Jesus and his disciples left Jerusalem and went into the Judean countryside. Jesus spent some time with them there, baptizing people. At this time John the Baptist was baptizing at Aenon, near Salim, because there was plenty of water there; and people kept coming to him for baptism. (This...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued,] "And I assure you that the time is coming, indeed it’s here now, when the dead will hear my voice — the voice of the Son of God. And those who listen will live. The Father has life in himself, and he has granted that same life-giving power to his Son. And he has given him...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But Jesus replied [after he said he came down from heaven and the people complained that he couldn't be anyone special since they knew his family], "Stop complaining about what I said. For no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and at the last day I will raise them...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued addressing the Jewish leaders:] "In fact, you sent investigators to listen to John the [Baptizer], and his testimony about me was true. Of course, I have no need of human witnesses, but I say these things so you might be saved." —John 5:33-34 NLT Key Thought John the Baptizer...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued,] "But don't be so concerned about perishable things like food. Spend your energy seeking the eternal life that the Son of Man can give you. For God the Father has given me the seal of his approval." —John 6:27 NLT Key Thought Think about how hard we work and how much money...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom