'Rejected!' - Luke 19:41-44

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

But as [Jesus] came closer to Jerusalem and saw the city ahead, he began to weep. "How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from your eyes. Before long your enemies will build ramparts against your walls and encircle you and close in on you from every side. They will crush you into the ground, and your children with you. Your enemies will not leave a single stone in place, because you did not recognize it when God visited you."

Luke 19:41-44 NLT

Key Thought

So often, we assume that if an opportunity is presented to us, then we will have many other chances to respond to the same opportunity. However, our experience eventually teaches most of us what God had tried to get us to see much earlier: Opportunities are offered and then pass by us never to be offered quite the same way again. Jerusalem stood on the brink of history. Accepting Jesus as the way to peace offered great opportunity. Rejecting Jesus as the way of peace led to the destruction that would follow. Unfortunately, this same rejection plays itself out repeatedly on a much smaller scale in the lives of so many people. They reject the way of the Lord in their youth, or in a time of rebellion, and think that he will be there for them to follow whenever and however they may choose. While they may eventually come to the Lord, they will waste much time, and they will also forfeit much peace as the consequences of their rebellion and procrastination bring them heartache after heartache. In addition, some can have their hearts become so hardened that they never wish to return to the Lord. Let's live and act with great urgency in the lives of those we love and ask God to help us reach them for Jesus so their lives and their eternities will not be squandered on what is not peace!

Today's Prayer

Father, give me wisdom and "urgent patience" to know how best to share Jesus with those I love but who do not know him as their Lord. I do not want to rush them in ways that close their hearts to him. At the same time, dear Father, I don't want to be lackadaisical in my approach to them either. Help me be a peace-bringer as I seek to share the Lord. In Jesus' name, I ask it. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings

Ⓒ 1996-2019 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
0I0mSIPX6XU

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
But as [Jesus] came closer to Jerusalem and saw the city ahead, he began to weep. "How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from your eyes. Before long your enemies will build ramparts against your walls and encircle...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After a failed attempt by the teachers of religious law to trap him,] Jesus presented them with a question. "Why is it," he asked, "that the Messiah is said to be the son of David? For David himself wrote in the book of Psalms: "Since David called the Messiah 'LORD,' how can the Messiah be...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After appearing to the disciples and eating with them, then Jesus] said, "When I was with you before, I told you that everything written about me in the law of Moses and the prophets and in the Psalms must be fulfilled." Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures. And he said...
Replies
Views
  • Article
By this time [Jesus and the two disciples] were nearing Emmaus and the end of their journey. Jesus acted as if he were going on, but they begged him, "Stay the night with us, since it is getting late." So he went home with them. As they sat down to eat, he took the bread and blessed it. Then he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A little farther up the shore Jesus saw Zebedee's sons, James and John, in a boat repairing their nets. He called them at once, and they also followed him, leaving their father, Zebedee, in the boat with the hired men. —Mark 1:19-20 NLT Key Thought There is a cost to following Jesus. Some...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom