What does it mean to pray without ceasing? | GotQuestions.org

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Paul’s command in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 to “pray without ceasing,” can be confusing. Paul is referring to an attitude of God-consciousness and God-surrender that we carry with us all the time. Every waking moment is to be lived in an awareness that God is with us and that He is actively involved and engaged in our thoughts and actions.

When our thoughts turn to worry, fear, discouragement, and anger, we are to consciously and quickly turn every thought into prayer and every prayer into thanksgiving. In his letter to the Philippians, Paul commands us to stop being anxious and instead, “In everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" ((Philippians 4:6, 7). He taught the believers at Colossae (Colossians 4:2) to devote themselves “to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” Paul exhorted the Ephesian believers to see prayer as a weapon to use in fighting spiritual battles (Ephesians 6:18).

Paul’s command in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 to “pray without ceasing,” can be confusing. Paul is referring to an attitude of God-consciousness and God-surrender that we carry with us all the time. Every waking moment is to be lived in an awareness that God is with us and that He is actively involved and engaged in our thoughts and actions.

When our thoughts turn to worry, fear, discouragement, and anger, we are to consciously and quickly turn every thought into prayer and every prayer into thanksgiving. In his letter to the Philippians, Paul commands us to stop being anxious and instead, “In everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" ((Philippians 4:6, 7). He taught the believers at Colossae (Colossians 4:2) to devote themselves “to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” Paul exhorted the Ephesian believers to see prayer as a weapon to use in fighting spiritual battles (Ephesians 6:18).

Our dear Lord did it all the time. Wherever He went, whatever He did, He prayed, He praised and adore Him who sent Him to die for us. The temple of the Lord should be a house of prayer, we are that temple, we should be in prayer wherever are.

Amen. Keep the Heavenly communication channel open with God at all times. Why wouldn't you want the best guidance available 24/7? Think about it family. Why hang up on God?

"Prayer is simply talking to God—and the most important thing I can say about this is that God wants you to talk to Him! He loves us and He has promised to hear us when we pray. How can you learn to pray? First, understand why prayer is possible."
~ Billy Graham

Prayers are one of our Father's greatest gifts given to us. It is such a privilege made possible by Jesus. Thank God for the privilege of prayers.

Last edited:

Make us all a humble prayer warriors o Lord and make us all a blessing to everyone we live with and work with. Amen

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Amen~praying in agreement in Jesus'name, God bless you

Similar Requests

• Article
Last week, I covered the first three of seven misconceptions and false teachings about sex that still hang around out there, coming from Christian authors and speakers, church leaders, and believers in general. While we can have honest and reasonable disagreements about particulars, some...
Replies
Views
  • Article
In a healthy spiritual life, self-evaluation is important. It can even be exciting, if we’re willing to be honest with ourselves and welcome the tender, compassionate guidance of the Holy Spirit. Our prayer life is a good opportunity for this. Dr. Stanley believed loving and serving God well...
Replies
Views
Lord Jesus I continue to ask for strong protection for my family and I, esp. the little one (I plead the blood of Jesus over us and ask for a wall of Holy Spirit fire around each of us and your mighty warrior angels to surround us according to Ps 91, Ps. 34:7, Zech. 2:5, Isaiah 54:17, Isaiah...
Replies
Views
Lord Jesus I continue to ask for strong protection for my family and I, esp. the little one (I plead the blood of Jesus over us and ask for a wall of Holy Spirit fire around each of us and your mighty warrior angels to surround us according to Ps 91, Ps. 34:7, Zech. 2:5, Isaiah 54:17, Isaiah...
Replies
Views
Lets please also continue to pray for the following: 1. Persecuted Christians around the world (staggering rise of persecution in recent years....260 million in 2019 and now even 365 million as per some reports and according to a recent British government report at genocidal levels in some...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom