'The Owner's Reaction' - Luke 20:9-13

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Now Jesus turned to the people again and told them this story: "A man planted a vineyard, leased it to tenant farmers, and moved to another country to live for several years. At the time of the grape harvest, he sent one of his servants to collect his share of the crop. But the farmers attacked the servant, beat him up, and sent him back empty-handed. So the owner sent another servant, but they also insulted him, beat him up, and sent him away empty-handed. A third man was sent, and they wounded him and chased him away.
"'What will I do?' the owner asked himself. 'I know! I'll send my cherished son. Surely they will respect him.'"

Luke 20:9-13 NLT

Key Thought​

This parable is very autobiographical for Jesus. He was clearly referring to what God had done through the prophets and then by sending him. Religious leaders had taken over the running of God's people. However, they wanted to run things their own way and resisted God's desires and true representatives to the point of abusing and killing them. So God would send someone who was more than just an owner's representative; he would send his cherished son! Jesus is that cherished Son! The horrible events that unfold in the next few verses of Jesus' parable [1] also happened to God's beloved Son! Those events that happened to Jesus don't matter just historically or religiously; they also matter significantly in the life and heart of God. In other words, God loved enough to send his cherished Son to save us!

[1] Luke 20:14-16.

Today's Prayer​

Father, thank you for your indescribable gift. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
I am so glad I do not owe anything in this world, God does. He has sent blessings upon blessings as a loan for me to take good care of them. So, when I return to heaven, Jesus will get back everything He has given to me.

Similar Requests

• Article
[Jesus continued the story,] "But when the tenant farmers saw [the vineyard owner's] son, they said to each other, 'Here comes the heir to this estate. Let's kill him and get the estate for ourselves!' So they dragged him out of the vineyard and murdered him. "What do you suppose the owner of...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Jesus looked at [the people who had heard his story about the tenant farmers who killed the landowner's son, hoping to get the vineyard for themselves,] and said, "Then what does this Scripture mean? "Everyone who stumbles over that stone will be broken to pieces, and it will crush anyone it...
Replies
Views
  • Article
So [the women] rushed back from the tomb to tell his eleven disciples — and everyone else — what had happened. It was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and several other women who told the apostles what had happened. But the story sounded like nonsense to the men, so they didn't...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Watching for their opportunity, the leaders sent spies pretending to be honest men. They tried to get Jesus to say something that could be reported to the Roman governor so he would arrest Jesus. "Teacher," they said, "we know that you speak and teach what is right and are not influenced by what...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A little farther up the shore Jesus saw Zebedee's sons, James and John, in a boat repairing their nets. He called them at once, and they also followed him, leaving their father, Zebedee, in the boat with the hired men. —Mark 1:19-20 NLT Key Thought There is a cost to following Jesus. Some...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom