The New Covenant of Life

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification comes from God. He has enabled us to be ministers of his new covenant. This is a covenant not of written laws, but of the Spirit. The old written covenant ends in death; but under the new covenant, the Spirit gives life.

2 Corinthians 3:5-6 NLT

Key Thought

Unfortunately, many of us who claim to follow Jesus can miss the incredibly radical claims of the apostle Paul. One of these claims is simple and clear: "[We] are not under law" (Romans 6:14 & Galatians 5:18). It's not that the righteous demands of law are bad, but they have no power to change us — not down inside where the problems in our attitudes and behaviors really reside. Instead, when we surrender our lives to Jesus, the Holy Spirit comes to live inside us. With the gift of the Spirit's presence come both the power and the urge to be more and more like God — to be holy and righteous, gracious and compassionate. Written laws can convict us of our failures, but this new "law," i.e.,>/span> the principle of living by the Holy Spirit of God within us, is life-inspiring and enabling. Rather than a law demanding us to be holy, we have the presence of the Holy One inside us urging, leading, empowering, convicting, and transforming us to be like Jesus.
Note: Translations of Romans 6:14 & Galatians 5:18 frequently say "you are not under the law," but the definite article "the" is not in either verse in the Greek. A literal translation without "the" is used above.

Today's Prayer

Holy God, I appreciate the Ten Commandments and the rules, regulations, and laws you gave your people through Moses. I hear your call to me to be holy — to be righteous and compassionate as you are, things you commanded in the Law. But I know, dear Father, that without the empowering presence of your Holy Spirit and the gift of your grace in Jesus, I would never even have a chance to measure up. I ask that you give me life, hope, holiness, joy, peace, passion, endurance, and grace as I seek to yield to the Spirit's influence in my life. I want to be the kind of person you want me to be. I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

Ⓒ 1996-2019 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. The Thoughts and Prayer for God's Holy Fire are written by Phil Ware.
Scripture quotations marked (NIV) are taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.™ Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved worldwide.

Scripture quotations marked MESSAGE are taken from THE MESSAGE, copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene H. Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress. All rights reserved. Represented by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.

9gfox6ZhY88

Continue reading...

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
The Spirit of the Lord give us life, strenght when we are so weak and cannot go on. Welcome Holy Spirit to our life, to our church and to our families. Come Holy Spirit I need You. Come Holy Spirit of peace to my heart. Amen

Similar Requests

• Article
Then Peter said [to the lame man], "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One Sabbath day as Jesus was walking through some grainfields, his disciples began breaking off heads of grain to eat. But the Pharisees said to Jesus, "Look, why are they breaking the law by harvesting grain on the Sabbath?" —Mark 2:23-24 NLT Key Thought Some people watch others who are...
Replies
Views
  • Article
"Now we have received ... the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God." —1 Corinthians 2:12 Evening Thought Dear reader, have you received the spirit which is of God, wrought by the Holy Ghost in your soul? The necessity of the work of the Holy...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus said,] "I tell you the truth, all sin and blasphemy can be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven. This is a sin with eternal consequences." He told [the teachers of religious law] this because they were saying, "He's possessed by an evil spirit."...
Replies
Views
  • Article
And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies. I will even betroth thee unto me in faithfulness: and thou shalt know the LORD. —Hosea 2:19-20 (KJV) Thoughts on Today's Verse... God longed for...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom