THE MESSAGE OF REPENTANCE

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

A Call to Repentance
¹About this time Jesus was informed that Pilate had murdered some people from Galilee as they were offering sacrifices at the Temple. ²“Do you think those Galileans were worse sinners than all the other people from Galilee?” Jesus asked. “Is that why they suffered? ³Not at all! And you will perish, too, unless you repent of your sins and turn to God. ⁴And what about the eighteen people who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them? Were they the worst sinners in Jerusalem? ⁵No, and I tell you again that unless you repent, you will perish, too.” [Luke 13:1-5]

But, in lying, trying to convince God that I am "your idol," as if He, being omniscient, doesn’t already know who your real idols are, you've come out in droves, and turned your backs on me. Yet you compass me about, even when I'm sleeping in the church garden, to sneak the blessing. Houston, God doesn't indwell idols.

Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? [2 Corinthians 6-16a]

Your idols have not only confused you, they've got you so afraid that you don't even think you can win a ballgame without following their wicked instructions to "compass me about" [Habakkuk 1:4]. But, you don’t stop there: you also converge on me in the attempt to block your sister city’s teams from their blessing. God's instruction is simply "Be still and know." You see, it's first and foremost about God being exalted, not your teams, and certainly not your idols.

“Are you afraid of these idols? Do they terrify you? Is that why you have lied to me and forgotten me and my words? Is it because of my long silence that you no longer fear me? [Isaiah 57:11]

The Message Bible translation perfectly denotes what's been going on in this city: “Who talked you into the pursuit of this nonsense, leaving me high and dry, forgetting you ever knew me? Because I don’t yell and make a scene, do you think I don’t exist?" [Isaiah 57:11]

I'm your idol? Really?! OK, let's pretend that part is true (it is not); now then, complete the process:
"Repent and turn away from YOUR sin"

Yes, that part. Otherwise, you are hypocrites. For Jesus himself preached repentance before, and after his death and resurrection. Repentance is grace, but to continue in sin, is to trample on that grace.

Parable of the Barren Fig Tree
⁶Then Jesus told this story: “A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. ⁷Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’ ⁸“The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. ⁹If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’” [Luke 13:6-9]

Mankind is that fig tree, God is the Owner, and Jesus is the gardner "The One" who provides the loving care, that we may grow to bear the fruit of the Spirit through repentance. Repentance - because we've trampled on God's grace (His patience). And, repentance - because we've mistreated one another, yet somehow arrogantly expect, and even demand God's mercy for ourselves. What amazing grace. And indeed, grace does abound, but Paul sums it up like this.

¹Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? ²Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? [Romans 6:1-2]

Someday the owner will return to reap His harvest...

The Day of the Lord Is Coming

⁸But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. ⁹The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.

Therefore, again:
¹Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? ²OF COURSE NOT! [Romans 6:1-2]

Recommended Reading: 2 Peter 3 (whole chapter) & 2 Corinthians 6 (whole chapter). The NLT (New Living Translation) offers plain English understanding.

A Call to Repentance
¹About this time Jesus was informed that Pilate had murdered some people from Galilee as they were offering sacrifices at the Temple. ²“Do you think those Galileans were worse sinners than all the other people from Galilee?” Jesus asked. “Is that why they suffered? ³Not at all! And you will perish, too, unless you repent of your sins and turn to God. ⁴And what about the eighteen people who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them? Were they the worst sinners in Jerusalem? ⁵No, and I tell you again that unless you repent, you will perish, too.” [Luke 13:1-5]

But, in lying, trying to convince God that I am "your idol," as if He, being omniscient, doesn’t already know who your real idols are, you've come out in droves, and turned your backs on me. Yet you compass me about, even when I'm sleeping in the church garden, to sneak the blessing. Houston, God doesn't indwell idols.

Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? [2 Corinthians 6-16a]

Your idols have not only confused you, they've got you so afraid that you don't even think you can win a ballgame without following their wicked instructions to "compass me about" [Habakkuk 1:4]. But, you don’t stop there: you also converge on me in the attempt to block your sister city’s teams from their blessing. God's instruction is simply "Be still and know." You see, it's first and foremost about God being exalted, not your teams, and certainly not your idols.

“Are you afraid of these idols? Do they terrify you? Is that why you have lied to me and forgotten me and my words? Is it because of my long silence that you no longer fear me? [Isaiah 57:11]

The Message Bible translation perfectly denotes what's been going on in this city: “Who talked you into the pursuit of this nonsense, leaving me high and dry, forgetting you ever knew me? Because I don’t yell and make a scene, do you think I don’t exist?" [Isaiah 57:11]

I'm your idol? Really?! OK, let's pretend that part is true (it is not); now then, complete the process:

"Repent and turn away from YOUR sin"

Yes, that part. Otherwise, you are hypocrites. For Jesus himself preached repentance before, and after his death and resurrection. Repentance is grace, but to continue in sin, is to trample on that grace.

Parable of the Barren Fig Tree
⁶Then Jesus told this story: “A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed. ⁷Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’ ⁸“The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer. ⁹If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’” [Luke 13:6-9]

Mankind is that fig tree, God is the Owner, and Jesus is the gardner "The One" who provides the loving care, that we may grow to bear the fruit of the Spirit through repentance. Repentance - because we've trampled on God's grace (His patience). And, repentance - because we've mistreated one another, yet somehow arrogantly expect, and even demand God's mercy for ourselves. What amazing grace. And indeed, grace does abound, but Paul sums it up like this.

¹Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? ²Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it? [Romans 6:1-2]

Someday the owner will return to reap His harvest...

The Day of the Lord Is Coming

⁸But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day. ⁹The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent.

Therefore, again:
¹Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? ²OF COURSE NOT! [Romans 6:1-2]

Recommended Reading: 2 Peter 3 (whole chapter) & 2 Corinthians 6 (whole chapter). The NLT (New Living Translation) offers plain English understanding.

I told the Lord everything I did and said. He said to me. I have forgiven you. Thank you Lord. I shall forever follow You all the way to heaven. Now I shall continue to sing praises to Your name. He is never failed me yet... wonderful song to sing to Jesus. This is so true in my life.

Thank you Jesus for drawing me near to Your heart and opening my eyes to see eternity in perpestive of my future on earth. The sin which my heart was enslaved were released and made me free again. Thank you for the bottom of my heart.

I told the Lord everything I did and said. He said to me. I have forgiven you. Thank you Lord. I shall forever follow You all the way to heaven. Now I shall continue to sing praises to Your name. He is never failed me yet... wonderful song to sing to Jesus. This is so true in my life.
When we repent from our sins, Jesus will forgive and send blessings to our life.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Bible in a Year : Judges 1–3,Luke 4:1–30 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. Mark 11:13 The barren and withered fig tree, representing an unfaithful nation soon to be overrun by its enemies, is a common Old Testament image (Isaiah 28:4; 34:4...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Leviticus 19:4 Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 26:1 You shall not make idols for yourselves; neither a carved image nor a sacred pillar shall you rear up for yourselves; nor shall you set up an engraved stone in your land, to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Leviticus 19:4 Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 26:1 You shall not make idols for yourselves; neither a carved image nor a sacred pillar shall you rear up for yourselves; nor shall you set up an engraved stone in your land, to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
It is in the moments of greatest trial that we find our greatest need to follow in his steps. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips. When he was...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Just one thought that came across my mind this morning: Christmas time: Jesus died for the world. This should be preached to the unsaved souls. So that they would come and repent at the foot of the Cross and come out of their grave. Easter: Jesus was resurrected. This should be preached to...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom