'The Lord Needs It!' - Luke 19:28-35

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

After telling this story, Jesus went on toward Jerusalem, walking ahead of his disciples. As he came to the towns of Bethphage and Bethany on the Mount of Olives, he sent two disciples ahead. "Go into that village over there," he told them. "As you enter it, you will see a young donkey tied there that no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. If anyone asks, 'Why are you untying that colt?' just say, 'The Lord needs it.'" So they went and found the colt, just as Jesus had said. And sure enough, as they were untying it, the owners asked them, "Why are you untying that colt?" And the disciples simply replied, "The Lord needs it." So they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their garments over it for him to ride on.

Luke 19:28-35 NLT

Key Thought

What an attitude! If the Lord needs it, I'll offer it. If the Lord wants it, I'll do it. No questions asked. No explanation needed. No hesitation found. We've seen a rich man turn back from following Jesus because the Lord told him to do something he wouldn't do (Luke 18:21-23). That is not the case here. "The Lord needs it!" Such a simple explanation was met with an equally simple response — no words, just compliance. Little did the owners know that their act of submission and obedience to Jesus' need would bring about such a glorious event — the Triumphal Entry that is described in the following verses. So the question each of us needs to ask ourself today is this: "What does the Lord need from me?" May our responses be the same as the unnamed owners of the donkey.

Today's Prayer

God of glory and grace, my heavenly Father, please work on my heart. Do what is necessary to keep it soft and responsive to your will. May I always be open to whatever your Son needs of me. May I respond without hesitation. May you be glorified and your Kingdom be served in my willingness to obey. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings

Ⓒ 1996-2019 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
r5Uf49SIDxU

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
After telling this story, Jesus went on toward Jerusalem, walking ahead of his disciples. As he came to the towns of Bethphage and Bethany on the Mount of Olives, he sent two disciples ahead. "Go into that village over there," he told them. "As you enter it, you will see a young donkey tied...
Replies
Views
  • Article
By this time [Jesus and the two disciples] were nearing Emmaus and the end of their journey. Jesus acted as if he were going on, but they begged him, "Stay the night with us, since it is getting late." So he went home with them. As they sat down to eat, he took the bread and blessed it. Then he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After predicting Peter's denial of him,] Jesus asked [the disciples], "When I sent you out to preach the Good News and you did not have money, a traveler's bag, or an extra pair of sandals, did you need anything?" "No," they replied. "But now," he said, "take your money and a traveler's bag...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The crowd watched [Jesus' crucifixion] and the leaders scoffed. "He saved others," they said, "let him save himself if he is really God's Messiah, the Chosen One." The soldiers mocked him, too, by offering him a drink of sour wine. They called out to him, "If you are the King of the Jews, save...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Before daybreak the next morning, Jesus got up and went out to an isolated place to pray. —Mark 1:35 NLT Key Thought Jesus had a regular, disciplined time to be alone with his Father each day. His quiet time with his Father was intentional; it was a priority he built into his day, and it...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Top Bottom