'Recognized in the Breaking of the Bread' - Luke 24:28-35

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

By this time [Jesus and the two disciples] were nearing Emmaus and the end of their journey. Jesus acted as if he were going on, but they begged him, "Stay the night with us, since it is getting late." So he went home with them. As they sat down to eat, he took the bread and blessed it. Then he broke it and gave it to them. Suddenly, their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And at that moment he disappeared!
They said to each other, "Didn't our hearts burn within us as he talked with us on the road and explained the Scriptures to us?" And within the hour they were on their way back to Jerusalem. There they found the eleven disciples and the others who had gathered with them, who said, "The Lord has really risen! He appeared to Peter."

Then the two from Emmaus told their story of how Jesus had appeared to them as they were walking along the road, and how they had recognized him as he was breaking the bread.

Luke 24:28-35 NLT

Key Thought​

Every meal is sacred when Christians gather to share it. When we share the LORD's Supper, we are most certainly to recognize the presence of the LORD with us. The meal in today's verses, however, is a reminder that even the most common times of table fellowship are sacred and precious moments of Jesus' presence. When we eat together, let's never let a single meal pass without our conscious realization and recognition of the LORD's being with us.

Today's Prayer​

Holy Father, thank you for making meals sacred moments with your Son. Forgive me for trivializing mealtime with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I confess that I get so busy and rushed that I often miss the opportunity to welcome the Savior into our fellowship. In his name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

By this time [Jesus and the two disciples] were nearing Emmaus and the end of their journey. Jesus acted as if he were going on, but they begged him, "Stay the night with us, since it is getting late." So he went home with them. As they sat down to eat, he took the bread and blessed it. Then he broke it and gave it to them. Suddenly, their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And at that moment he disappeared!
They said to each other, "Didn't our hearts burn within us as he talked with us on the road and explained the Scriptures to us?" And within the hour they were on their way back to Jerusalem. There they found the eleven disciples and the others who had gathered with them, who said, "The Lord has really risen! He appeared to Peter."

Then the two from Emmaus told their story of how Jesus had appeared to them as they were walking along the road, and how they had recognized him as he was breaking the bread.

Key Thought​

Every meal is sacred when Christians gather to share it. When we share the LORD's Supper, we are most certainly to recognize the presence of the LORD with us. The meal in today's verses, however, is a reminder that even the most common times of table fellowship are sacred and precious moments of Jesus' presence. When we eat together, let's never let a single meal pass without our conscious realization and recognition of the LORD's being with us.

Today's Prayer​

Holy Father, thank you for making meals sacred moments with your Son. Forgive me for trivializing mealtime with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I confess that I get so busy and rushed that I often miss the opportunity to welcome the Savior into our fellowship. In his name, I pray. Amen.

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
I am the Bread of life, those who eat will never hunger again. Jesus will provide for our needs when we ask in faith.

Key Thought​

Today's Prayer​

Continue reading...
Open our eyes o Lord to see the wonders of Your work. Open our ears to hear Your voice. We love You today and will love You forever. Amen

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
"My little daughter is dying," [Jairus] said. "Please come and lay your hands on her; heal her so she can live." Jesus went with him, and all the people followed, crowding around him. —Mark 5:23-24 NLT Key Thought We can easily make Jesus into a two-dimensional caricature of himself. He...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus went from village to village, teaching the people. And he called his twelve disciples together and began sending them out two by two, giving them authority to cast out evil spirits. He told them to take nothing for their journey except a walking stick — no food, no traveler's bag, no...
Replies
Views
  • Article
While [Jesus] was still speaking to [the woman who touched his robe to be healed], messengers arrived from the home of Jairus, the leader of the synagogue. They told him, "Your daughter is dead. There's no use troubling the Teacher now." But Jesus overheard them and said to Jairus, "Don't be...
Replies
Views
  • Article
As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's cross to the other side of the lake." So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). —Mark 4:35-36 NLT Key Thought Some things need to be shared in private. God's servants can't be...
Replies
Views
  • Article
And just as [the two men from Emmaus] were telling [other disciples in Jerusalem about their encounter with Jesus], Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. "Peace be with you," he said. But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost! "Why are...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom