'The Importance of Prayer' - Luke 6:12-13

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

One day soon [after healing the man with the deformed hand,] Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night. At daybreak he called together all of his disciples and chose twelve of them to be apostles. Here are their names:...

Luke 6:12-13 NLT

Key Thought​

Few events were more important in Jesus' ministry than his selection of apostles. How would Jesus select twelve from the mob that followed him? These men would have to be the initial leaders in a movement that would change the world. Could he actually find twelve who could do that? Jesus knew what was in the hearts of people. Would anyone be able to stand up to the challenges that he would have to face as one of Jesus' chosen twelve? Jesus withdrew to the mountains to be alone with God and pray as he faced this momentous decision. He didn't choose twelve and then ask God to bless his choice. No, he spent the night in prayer before he chose the twelve. When faced with decisions, whether they appear important or not, we need to follow the example of our Lord!

Today's Prayer​

Holy and loving Father, stir my heart with a deeper yearning for prayer. I need your guidance every day, so please dear Lord, bless me with the discipline of daily fervent prayer. Particularly in those times when I face very hard decisions, have your Holy Spirit stir my spirit with a longing to come into your presence and find my guidance and peace in you. In Jesus' name, and because of Jesus' example, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

One day soon [after healing the man with the deformed hand,] Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night. At daybreak he called together all of his disciples and chose twelve of them to be apostles. Here are their names:...

Luke 6:12-13 NLT

Key Thought​

Few events were more important in Jesus' ministry than his selection of apostles. How would Jesus select twelve from the mob that followed him? These men would have to be the initial leaders in a movement that would change the world. Could he actually find twelve who could do that? Jesus knew what was in the hearts of people. Would anyone be able to stand up to the challenges that he would have to face as one of Jesus' chosen twelve? Jesus withdrew to the mountains to be alone with God and pray as he faced this momentous decision. He didn't choose twelve and then ask God to bless his choice. No, he spent the night in prayer before he chose the twelve. When faced with decisions, whether they appear important or not, we need to follow the example of our Lord!

Today's Prayer​

Holy and loving Father, stir my heart with a deeper yearning for prayer. I need your guidance every day, so please dear Lord, bless me with the discipline of daily fervent prayer. Particularly in those times when I face very hard decisions, have your Holy Spirit stir my spirit with a longing to come into your presence and find my guidance and peace in you. In Jesus' name, and because of Jesus' example, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Let us all join Jesus at prayer in the mountain. He loves everyone of us and want us all in heaven.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
I must admit I have never prayed all night but I have studied most of the night and rose up early and studied some more in the morning during an important test but I know Jesus felt He needed to be prepared to pick His disciples.

Similar Requests

• Article
[After Jesus blessed the five loaves and two fish and had them distributed, the people] all ate as much as they wanted, and afterward, the disciples picked up twelve baskets of leftover bread and fish. A total of 5,000 men and their families were fed. —Mark 6:42-44 NLT Key Thought Mark made...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then [Jesus] appointed twelve of [his disciples] and called them his apostles. They were to accompany him, and he would send them out to preach, giving them authority to cast out demons. —Mark 3:14-15 NLT Key Thought Jesus selected the twelve apostles for several clear purposes: They were to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Afterward Jesus went up on a mountain and called out the ones he wanted to go with him. And they came to him. —Mark 3:13 NLT Key Thought When we meet the twelve apostles of Jesus in the subsequent verses, we need to know that they were not an accidental band of misfits. Jesus chose them...
Replies
Views
  • Article
So the disciples went out, telling everyone they met to repent of their sins and turn to God. And they cast out many demons and healed many sick people, anointing them with olive oil. —Mark 6:12-13 NLT Key Thought The disciples told the message to "everyone they met." They didn't try to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus went from village to village, teaching the people. And he called his twelve disciples together and began sending them out two by two, giving them authority to cast out evil spirits. He told them to take nothing for their journey except a walking stick — no food, no traveler's bag, no...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom