'No Accidental Band' - Mark 3:13

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Afterward Jesus went up on a mountain and called out the ones he wanted to go with him. And they came to him.

Mark 3:13 NLT

Key Thought​

When we meet the twelve apostles of Jesus in the subsequent verses, we need to know that they were not an accidental band of misfits. Jesus chose them prayerfully (Luke 6:12-13). They answered his call and followed him. He chose them carefully because he was about to invest much of his remaining time in training them. They would go with him and learn by being at his side — not just by hearing his message, but also by seeing his life. What are we to learn from what Jesus did? It seems to me that several lessons are important:
  1. Jesus chooses how he will use those of us who follow him — he is LORD and that is his right and responsibility.
  2. We have to answer his call to follow; he will not force us.
  3. The diversity and seeming insignificance of the apostles he chose was purposeful — Jesus sees things in us and in others that we cannot see, and he longs to use us in his cause in special ways.

Today's Prayer​

Loving God, the giver of every good and lasting gift, please help me to see those things you have created me to do. Even more, dear Father, move me to do those things whether I think they are menial or glorious, for I know that you will use everything I offer you to your glory and for the blessing of others. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
So [Jesus and the apostles] left by boat for a quiet place, where they could be alone. But many people recognized them and saw them leaving, and people from many towns ran ahead along the shore and got there ahead of them. Jesus saw the huge crowd as he stepped from the boat, and he had...
Replies
Views
  • Article
So the disciples went out, telling everyone they met to repent of their sins and turn to God. And they cast out many demons and healed many sick people, anointing them with olive oil. —Mark 6:12-13 NLT Key Thought The disciples told the message to "everyone they met." They didn't try to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus stopped the crowd and wouldn't let anyone go with him [to Jairus' house] except Peter, James, and John (the brother of James). —Mark 5:37 NLT Key Thought Jesus worked to grow people at all different levels of relationship and maturity. He invested especially in three apostles who...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o'clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Jesus blessed the five loaves and two fish and had them distributed, the people] all ate as much as they wanted, and afterward, the disciples picked up twelve baskets of leftover bread and fish. A total of 5,000 men and their families were fed. —Mark 6:42-44 NLT Key Thought Mark made...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom