'The Greatest Risk' - Luke 19:20-27

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[Jesus concluded the story about the nobleman who became king,] "But the third servant brought back only the original amount of money and said, 'Master, I hid your money and kept it safe. I was afraid because you are a hard man to deal with, taking what isn't yours and harvesting crops you didn't plant.'
"'You wicked servant!' the king roared. 'Your own words condemn you. If you knew that I'm a hard man who takes what isn't mine and harvests crops I didn't plant, why didn't you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.'

"Then, turning to the others standing nearby, the king ordered, 'Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one who has ten pounds.'

"'But, master,' they said, 'he already has ten pounds!'
"'Yes,' the king replied, 'and to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. And as for these enemies of mine who didn't want me to be their king — bring them in and execute them right here in front of me.'"

Luke 19:20-27 NLT

Key Thought​

The other servants who received the king's silver made good use of it, [1] but the third servant did nothing. His view of the king was very negative, and he was afraid to take risks and truly use the money entrusted to him. His fears made him take the greatest risk of all: doing nothing. Fear immobilizes us. Jesus doesn't want us to be afraid to risk for the Kingdom; in fact, he wants us to know that the greatest risk of all is to look fearfully at God and to think we are playing it safe by just hiding all that he has entrusted to us to use for his glory.

[1] Luke 19:12-19.

Today's Prayer​

Father, keep my heart from being afraid to try to do great things for you. While I know that there is always a risk of failure in my efforts, I also realize that an even greater failure would be to do nothing with all that you have entrusted to me. Give me wisdom and confidence so that I put your truth and blessings in my life to beneficial use. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

[Jesus concluded the story about the nobleman who became king,] "But the third servant brought back only the original amount of money and said, 'Master, I hid your money and kept it safe. I was afraid because you are a hard man to deal with, taking what isn't yours and harvesting crops you didn't plant.'
"'You wicked servant!' the king roared. 'Your own words condemn you. If you knew that I'm a hard man who takes what isn't mine and harvests crops I didn't plant, why didn't you deposit my money in the bank? At least I could have gotten some interest on it.'

"Then, turning to the others standing nearby, the king ordered, 'Take the money from this servant, and give it to the one who has ten pounds.'

"'Yes,' the king replied, 'and to those who use well what they are given, even more will be given. But from those who do nothing, even what little they have will be taken away. And as for these enemies of mine who didn't want me to be their king — bring them in and execute them right here in front of me.'"

Key Thought​

The other servants who received the king's silver made good use of it, [1] but the third servant did nothing. His view of the king was very negative, and he was afraid to take risks and truly use the money entrusted to him. His fears made him take the greatest risk of all: doing nothing. Fear immobilizes us. Jesus doesn't want us to be afraid to risk for the Kingdom; in fact, he wants us to know that the greatest risk of all is to look fearfully at God and to think we are playing it safe by just hiding all that he has entrusted to us to use for his glory.

Today's Prayer​

Father, keep my heart from being afraid to try to do great things for you. While I know that there is always a risk of failure in my efforts, I also realize that an even greater failure would be to do nothing with all that you have entrusted to me. Give me wisdom and confidence so that I put your truth and blessings in my life to beneficial use. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Ⓒ 1996-2023 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Give your all to Jesus and He will bless your life.

Key Thought​

Today's Prayer​

Continue reading...
Use all your talents for Gods glory. Do not waste your time on things of this world, instead use all the time God is giving you to praise His name.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
Holy Spirit Thou art welcome in this place, omnipotent Father of mercy and grace, Thou art welcome in this place. We love You today and will love You forever. Let us all use us for Thy glory and honor.

Similar Requests

• Article
[Jesus continued the story about the nobleman,] "After he was crowned king, he returned and called in the servants to whom he had given the money. He wanted to find out what their profits were. The first servant reported, 'Master, I invested your money and made ten times the original amount!'...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Concluding the explanation of his parable, Jesus said,] "And the seed that fell on good soil represents those who hear and accept God's word and produce a harvest of thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times as much as had been planted!" —Mark 4:20 NLT Key Thought Jesus wants us to be...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[When asked why his disciples didn't fast,] Jesus replied, "Do wedding guests fast while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. They can't fast while the groom is with them. But someday the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast." —Mark 2:19-20 NLT Key Thought The...
Replies
Views
  • Article
As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. But Jesus said, "No, go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been." So the man started off to visit the Ten Towns of that region and began to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[At the Last Supper, after Jesus told the apostles one of them would betray him,] they began to argue among themselves about who would be the greatest among them. Jesus told them, "In this world the kings and great men lord it over their people, yet they are called 'friends of the people.' But...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom