'Telling Stories' - Mark 4:1-2

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Once again Jesus began teaching by the lakeshore. A very large crowd soon gathered around him, so he got into a boat. Then he sat in the boat while all the people remained on the shore. He taught them by telling many stories in the form of parables, such as this one: ...

Mark 4:1-2 NLT

Key Thought​

I find it interesting when a good preacher or Bible teacher is criticized for telling too many stories. Yes, there are some speakers who go only for the emotional tug on people's hearts by telling one story after another. On the other hand, not only do we need to pay attention to WHAT Jesus taught, but we also need to notice HOW he taught it! Jesus engaged people's imaginations and made everyday events, images, and experiences into hooks on which he could hang God's truth about the Kingdom. One of the reasons that he attracted large crowds involved his miracles. But, Jesus was very careful not to allow himself to become "The Miracle Man." Interestingly, he was not called the Healer, but the Teacher! His words were powerful because they were true. His teaching was influential because it carried with it the ring of heaven's truth. But let's not forget that his teaching was popular because he knew how to engage people's hearts, minds, and imaginations when he taught. One of the ways he did that was telling stories. Amazingly, these stories still speak to us today!

Today's Prayer​

Loving Father and Almighty God, please help me grow in my ability to teach the truth of Jesus. I want to teach it through the example of my life. I want to communicate that truth to those around me in my sphere of influence. Father, I also offer myself to be used by you to teach others about Jesus in any fashion you choose. And when my opportunities to teach your truth come, please help me know what to say and how to teach in ways that engage the hearts and minds of those I'm trying to reach. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
Jesus used many similar stories and illustrations to teach the people as much as they could understand. —Mark 4:33 NLT Key Thought Jesus was an incredible teacher in his earthly ministry. He used common, everyday images as hooks on which to hang eternal truth. The people would see those...
Replies
Views
  • Article
As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's cross to the other side of the lake." So they took Jesus in the boat and started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). —Mark 4:35-36 NLT Key Thought Some things need to be shared in private. God's servants can't be...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus told this parable:] "Listen! A farmer went out to plant some seed. As he scattered it across his field, some of the seed fell on a footpath, and the birds came and ate it. Other seed fell on shallow soil with underlying rock. The seed sprouted quickly because the soil was shallow. But the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
This is the Good News about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God. —Mark 1:1 NLT Key Thought We are beginning a journey through the Gospel of Mark. Gospel means "Good News." Mark wants us to know four things about our journey with him through the life of Jesus. It is a journey about God's Good...
Replies
Views
  • Article
In fact, in [Jesus'] public ministry he never taught without using parables; but afterward, when he was alone with his disciples, he explained everything to them. —Mark 4:34 NLT Key Thought While the parables were mysteries to some, Jesus made sure his closest followers knew what he meant...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom