'Teacher or Lord?' - Matthew 26:21-25

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

While [Jesus and the Twelve] were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me."
Greatly distressed, each one asked in turn, "Am I the one, Lord?"

He replied, "One of you who has just eaten from this bowl with me will betray me. For the Son of Man must die, as the Scriptures declared long ago. But how terrible it will be for the one who betrays him. It would be far better for that man if he had never been born!"

Judas, the one who would betray him, also asked, "Rabbi, am I the one?"

And Jesus told him, "You have said it."

Matthew 26:21-25 NLT

Key Thought​

All the disciples wanted Jesus' assurance that their worst nightmare wouldn't be real as they each asked, "Am I the one, Lord?" That's our question, too. On those days of great discouragement or great honesty, we ask ourselves and our Lord the same question. We don't want it to be true of us.

However, we find the disciples confused, weak, and pitiful — maybe even despicable at times — in a series of honest encounters with faith, reality, and lack of understanding. But in our heart of hearts, we know they are us. But each of them was redeemable because of one key word that they all used to address Jesus. All of them addressed Jesus as Lord. At least all of them except one addressed Jesus as Lord in the confusion following Jesus' assertion that one of them would betray him. In contrast, Judas used the word Rabbi, which means teacher.

Is that the difference between Judas and the others? Is it the difference between Judas and us?

The truth of our answer depends upon the significance of one word: "Rabbi"! "Rabbi" is the absolute key. Is Jesus our Lord, or is he merely just another Rabbi for us? Do we recognize him as our Master, or do we see him as just another good guide to life? Our decision makes an eternal difference!

Today's Prayer​

Almighty Father, your Son, Jesus of Nazareth and Son of the Living God, is Lord of all. In fact, Father, I want him to be my Lord. Gently lead me to confront the things in my life that keep Jesus from being Lord indeed over my will, and empower me with your Spirit to live under his guidance, authority, and rule. In the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

While [Jesus and the Twelve] were eating, he said, "I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me."

He replied, "One of you who has just eaten from this bowl with me will betray me. For the Son of Man must die, as the Scriptures declared long ago. But how terrible it will be for the one who betrays him. It would be far better for that man if he had never been born!"

Key Thought​

All the disciples wanted Jesus' assurance that their worst nightmare wouldn't be real as they each asked, "Am I the one, Lord?" That's our question, too. On those days of great discouragement or great honesty, we ask ourselves and our Lord the same question. We don't want it to be true of us.

However, we find the disciples confused, weak, and pitiful — maybe even despicable at times — in a series of honest encounters with faith, reality, and lack of understanding. But in our heart of hearts, we know they are us. But each of them was redeemable because of one key word that they all used to address Jesus. All of them addressed Jesus as Lord. At least all of them except one addressed Jesus as Lord in the confusion following Jesus' assertion that one of them would betray him. In contrast, Judas used the word Rabbi, which means teacher.

Is that the difference between Judas and the others? Is it the difference between Judas and us?

The truth of our answer depends upon the significance of one word: "Rabbi"! "Rabbi" is the absolute key. Is Jesus our Lord, or is he merely just another Rabbi for us? Do we recognize him as our Master, or do we see him as just another good guide to life? Our decision makes an eternal difference!

Today's Prayer​

Almighty Father, your Son, Jesus of Nazareth and Son of the Living God, is Lord of all. In fact, Father, I want him to be my Lord. Gently lead me to confront the things in my life that keep Jesus from being Lord indeed over my will, and empower me with your Spirit to live under his guidance, authority, and rule. In the name of my Lord and Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Both. Jesus was a great Teacher of Gods word and HIs wll for all of us. He is King of kings and Lord of lords. Let us all bow down before Him and worship Him in spirit and in truth.

Key Thought​

Today's Prayer​

Continue reading...
Best teacher in the whole earth, Jesus the Lord. Full of mercy and compassion. He is the Savior of my soul. Praises be unto Him now and forever more. Amen

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
But Jesus reprimanded [the evil spirit]. "Be quiet! Come out of the man," he ordered. At that, the evil spirit screamed, threw the man into a convulsion, and then came out of him. —Mark 1:25-26 NLT Key Thought Jesus had power over the evil one and the vile power he seeks to wield. Jesus...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But even as Jesus [told the disciples to pray to avoid temptation], a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss. But Jesus said, "Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?" —Luke 22:47-48 NLT Key Thought The...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[During the Passover meal, Jesus continued,] "But here at this table, sitting among us as a friend, is the man who will betray me. For it has been determined that the Son of Man must die. But what sorrow awaits the one who betrays him." The disciples began to ask each other which of them would...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The Festival of Unleavened Bread, which is also called Passover, was approaching. The leading priests and teachers of religious law were plotting how to kill Jesus, but they were afraid of the people's reaction. Then Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples, and he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But Jesus said, “Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?” When the other disciples saw what was about to happen, they exclaimed, "Lord, should we fight? We brought the swords!" And one of them struck at the high priest's slave, slashing off his right ear. But Jesus said, "No more...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom