Seven Ways to Sabotage Your Prayer Life

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

seven-ways-to-sabotage-your-prayer-life-wewkiih5-6b18de428d6961833d490d2cb159e09e.jpg

How to Sabotage Your Prayer Life

1. Live in Unrepentant Sin

The quickest way to sabotage your prayers is to live in unrepentant sin. God has informed his people of this at many times and in many ways, confronting our presumption that he must hear us no matter how we live. Consider a few examples:

If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. (Psalm 66:18)
Behold, the Lord’s hand is not shortened, that it cannot save,
or his ear dull, that it cannot hear;
but your iniquities have made a separation
between you and your God,
and your sins have hidden his face from you
so that he does not hear. (Isaiah 59:1–2)
Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer. But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil. (1 Peter 3:10–12; Psalm 34:12–16)
A drunken, undisciplined life makes for belligerent prayers — prayers God does not answer. “The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers” (1 Peter 4:7).

2. Ignore God’s Words
Note well: “If one turns away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer is an abomination” (Proverbs 28:9).

Dusty Bibles stir God’s allergies to our prayers. To understand why, ponder the privilege of prayer. As with a frightened child on a stormy night, God graciously leaves the door open for his people to come to him at any time for help, comfort, and joy. Glorying in this — that his problem with us is never that we come to him too much but too little — far be it from us to make prayer something that God must always hear from us while we can choose whether or not to hear from him. If one ought to be heard, it is God’s voice. If one ought to only listen, it is us.

Conversely, when we steep our souls in his word and ask according to his will, our confidence will increase “that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him” (1 John 5:14–15).

3. Pray for Your Own Praise
When you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. (Matthew 6:5)
“God’s problem with us is never that we come to him too much but too little.” TweetShare on Facebook
Make impressive prayers within the earshot of others, but let all be silent when only God is left to hear? In effect, you are praying for the sake of your glory, for your name to be hallowed among the hearers, for your kingdom to come on earth as it is in your mind. Praying for the sake of your reputation — praying to be admired, respected, and seen — strips prayer of its power.

4. Harbor Doubts About God’s Goodness
Prayers springing from our lips, while our hearts only mumble, ask not to be heard. When our hearts roll their eyes as we half-heartedly ask for what we don’t expect to receive, we dishonor God and anchor our prayers to earth.

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord. (James 1:5–7)
Prayers of faith that draw near to God know not only that he exists but that he is good — that he rewards those who seek him (Hebrews 11:6).

5. Pray Like an Adulteress
Sometimes God does not answer us because we ask for what we shouldn’t: “You ask and do not receive, because you ask wrongly, to spend it on your passions. You adulterous people!” (James 4:3–4). What business does an adulterer have to ask her husband for a gift she means to pass along to another lover?

“If we are living lives in which God does not have our highest allegiance,” writes Tim Keller, “then we will use prayer instrumentally, selfishly, simply to try to get the things that may be already ruining our lives” (Prayer, 138). If he loves us, he will not fund adulterous romances.

All prayer concerns the Father’s glory in Christ: “Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it” (John 14:13–14). Prayer orbits around this Bridegroom and not our own fallen lusts and desires.

6. Belittle God’s Daughter
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered. (1 Peter 3:7)
Why would a man, much less God, listen to another man who bullies the first man’s daughter? If he expects anything it’s retribution, not blessing. For a man to use his strength against a daughter of the King, to regard her as less than a co-heir, and deal harshly with her, harms his prayers just as he does his wife. If we mistreat those God has given to our protection — especially a wife — we hinder our prayers.

7. Come Casually
Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few. (Ecclesiastes 5:2)
We pray to our Father but our Father is also in heaven and has a kingdom and is its King, our King. Not thinking while in prayer, uttering many words as casually as you would a text message to a close friend, minimizes the majesty of the one whom we address.

“Sometimes God does not answer us because we ask for what we shouldn’t.” TweetShare on Facebook
If anyone had the right to come casually in prayer, it was the eternal Son of God. He did use the term of endearment Abba, but he was no less reverent for it. “In the days of his flesh, Jesus offered up prayers and supplications, with loud cries and tears, to him who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence” (Hebrews 5:7).

God’s Breath Returning
If prayer is, as George Herbert so elegantly stated, “God’s breath in man returning to his birth,” we will want to ensure that breath is not befouled by the stench of unrepentance or worldliness. We go to him in prayer, broken and contrite over our sin, but not while we are content with careless hearts and reckless lives. As John Piper paints with vivid imagery:

Jesus does not kiss a drunk wife. He may carry her off the street and back to bed. He may be utterly patient with her, and set before her hot coffee and fresh starts. But he will not kiss a drunk wife.
What do I mean? I mean that when the bride of Christ, the church, is drunk with the world, she may turn to him for a brief kiss of prayer, but her breath reeks so bad of worldliness that he turns his face away.
So, we pray, and keep on praying, not losing heart and not losing a careful watch over our lives. Prayers soar from our lips when we live in repentance, devouring God’s word, seeking his glory, loving those for whom we are most responsible, and beyond. We go to our heavenly Father consistently, expectantly, reverently, and press on towards the place where prayer becomes a most precious pastime.

While all that you stated may very well be truth we should ask ourselves; what is prayer? Prayer is asking of the One who made us, created us, for something as well as it also is Thanking Jesus as well as Praising Jesus who actually made it possible for us, mere Gentiles who are and were grafted into God's original plan to pick and choose whom He would save. Christ says if I be lifted up I will draw all nigh unto me, so we lift up Christ for His works to be done. While we pray, if we pray, without giving up, without ceasing, without thinking about ourselves; what do we ask from the One who made us? Do we ask for prosperity while Christ promises to Bless us with prosperity or should we just Thank Jesus and Praise Jesus for His promises, for His actions and leave the rest alone? I believe we should always enter into Christ with Praises and Thanks to Him all the while Thanking Him and Praising Him for what He promises to us.

I once was very specific about asking Jesus for a couple of 4 wheelers. I was specific about the price. I was specific about the condition. I must have waited 6 months to a year before my step child shared a great deal on a couple of 4 wheelers that he had found. While I may have doubted, I didn't speak that. I went to look at them all the while Thanking Jesus and Praising Jesus for His ability to do what I believed He was doing, what He did. When I got there they were like new yet they were out of gas and didn't start, I couldn't bring myself to talk the guy down on his price nor did I desire to try to start them. I knew they would start. I knew they would run. I knew Jesus was blessing me with what I'd asked for. Long story short they ran, they drove and they did everything that you would hope they would do. We pushed them onto a trailer and drove away with them all the while I knew they would be everything I had hoped for and they were. $5,000 dollars a peace value for 4 wheelers that I got for $500 dollars a peace was the most best deal that only Jesus could have gotten! Jesus is and always will be my hero!

Back to what you posted. Prayer is something that we do to and for the One who initially made us and He asks us to pray and to pray without ceasing. Should sin stop us from praying? We are and always will be sinners, yet we have an advocate at the right hand of the Father, right? Should we stop praying for any reason? I don't believe any reason should stop us from praying, does anyone else here?

Should we let someone else have dominion over our prayers or our prayer life? I don't believe we can. Does anyone have any right to tell us to give all the while we have given as well as give or gave? I don't believe anyone has any right to try to stop Christ from doing His part in our lives for His changes in our lives to change us for His Glory! We live and die unto Jesus, the One who made us, the One who changes us as well as the One who does, did and will do for us!

I say Thank You, Praise You Lord Jesus for what You did, do and will do and I know You do the same! Glory to You Lord Jesus!

Thanks for the post! I love you sister! Don't over think your place in Christ :)
Thank you Brother James for your beautiful testimony! God bless you!

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
It is in the moments of greatest trial that we find our greatest need to follow in his steps. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips. When he was...
Replies
Views
  • Article
John 15:16: You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. 1 Corinthians 1:27: But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Joshua 10–12 , Luke 1:39–56 Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. 1 John 3:18 What would cause someone to help a competitor? For a restaurant owner named Adrian, it was the opportunity to encourage other struggling local restaurant owners...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I would like to say that spiritual growth is not about suppressing who you are but discovering your true identity in Christ. Sometimes, I find myself studying the Word of God. It said: Lord, my heart is not haughty, Nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with...
Replies
Views
  • Article
🙏God, I ask You in Jesus' name, let Deuteronomy 31:6 and Joshua 1:9 live, breathe, work, operate, and rest in me, the writer of this prayer, my family, and friends. God let Your Holy Word live, breathe, dwell, work, and operate in each of us. God please forever honor this prayer over each of our...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom