'Real Places, Real People, Real Savior' - John 1:26-28

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

John told [the Pharisees who asked him what right he had to baptize], "I baptize with water, but right here in the crowd is someone you do not recognize. Though his ministry follows mine, I'm not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandal." This encounter took place in Bethany, an area east of the Jordan River, where John was baptizing.

John 1:26-28 NLT

Key Thought​

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."© If we are not careful, we can find ourselves looking at the story of Jesus as we view a work of fiction. In his gospel, John wants us to know that his account of Jesus is more than just a good tale. It is a story about real places, real people, and a real Savior. Yes, there was real water for baptism. There was a real city around which all of these things involving John the Baptizer happened. There were real, everyday people who came to this place along the Jordan River to open their hearts to the Kingdom of God. John reminds both them and us that there was a real Savior on the scene. God would walk among them as Jesus. He would get the dust of the streets on his feet. He was so great that John said he was not worthy to do the most menial work of a slave — kneel down, unlatch his sandals, and clean his feet. Dirt, sweat, feet, rivers, people, cities, crowds ... real places, real people, real Savior, real Jesus!

Today's Prayer​

O what wondrous love you've shown, O God, by sending your perfect Son to live in my imperfect world. O what wondrous grace you've given, dear God, when you allowed yourself to be soiled by the dust of my existence so that I could live for the praise of your glory. I praise you. I thank you. I love you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2022 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Lord Jesus, like Nicodemus, we come to You with questions. Help us grasp fully your salvation and grace. Forgive us our sins and guide us along the paths of righteousness by the Holy Spirit. God I ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

John told [the Pharisees who asked him what right he had to baptize], "I baptize with water, but right here in the crowd is someone you do not recognize. Though his ministry follows mine, I'm not even worthy to be his slave and untie the straps of his sandal." This encounter took place in Bethany, an area east of the Jordan River, where John was baptizing.

John 1:26-28 NLT

Key Thought​

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."© If we are not careful, we can find ourselves looking at the story of Jesus as we view a work of fiction. In his gospel, John wants us to know that his account of Jesus is more than just a good tale. It is a story about real places, real people, and a real Savior. Yes, there was real water for baptism. There was a real city around which all of these things involving John the Baptizer happened. There were real, everyday people who came to this place along the Jordan River to open their hearts to the Kingdom of God. John reminds both them and us that there was a real Savior on the scene. God would walk among them as Jesus. He would get the dust of the streets on his feet. He was so great that John said he was not worthy to do the most menial work of a slave — kneel down, unlatch his sandals, and clean his feet. Dirt, sweat, feet, rivers, people, cities, crowds ... real places, real people, real Savior, real Jesus!

Today's Prayer​

O what wondrous love you've shown, O God, by sending your perfect Son to live in my imperfect world. O what wondrous grace you've given, dear God, when you allowed yourself to be soiled by the dust of my existence so that I could live for the praise of your glory. I praise you. I thank you. I love you. In Jesus' name. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2022 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
Praise, honor and glory be unto Him now and forever more. Amen

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
One day Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee, and John baptized him in the Jordan River. —Mark 1:9 NLT Key Thought Jesus was a real person who came from a real place called Nazareth in the province of Galilee. He was baptized in a real river, the Jordan. In other words, Jesus' story is more...
Replies
Views
  • Article
This is the Good News about Jesus the Messiah, the Son of God. It began just as the prophet Isaiah had written: —Mark 1:1-3 NLT Key Thought Where did the Gospel actually begin? Where did God's Good News originate? Matthew and Luke began their accounts of Jesus' life with the stories...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Jesus went out to the lake with his disciples, and a large crowd followed him. They came from all over Galilee, Judea, Jerusalem, Idumea, from east of the Jordan River, and even from as far north as Tyre and Sidon. The news about his miracles had spread far and wide, and vast numbers of people...
Replies
Views
  • Article
All of Judea, including all the people of Jerusalem, went out to see and hear John. And when they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River. —Mark 1:5 NLT Key Thought John didn't choose the most accessible location to do his ministry. Instead, he was located in the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Jesus and his companions went to the town of Capernaum. When the Sabbath day came, he went into the synagogue and began to teach. The people were amazed at his teaching, for he taught with real authority — quite unlike the teachers of religious law. —Mark 1:21-22 NLT Key Thought Jesus went to...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom