'On Strange Turf' - Mark 5:1-2

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

So [Jesus and the disciples] arrived at the other side of the lake, in the region of the Gerasenes. When Jesus climbed out of the boat, a man possessed by an evil spirit came out from the tombs to meet him.

Mark 5:1-2 NLT

Key Thought​

Jesus was taking his disciples to new places. The particular new place in this event they shared with Jesus was strange. The strangeness had to do with what they would experience — an encounter with a demon-possessed man. Adding to this strangeness was the place they encountered him — near a cemetery where the demon-afflicted man lived among the tombs. If we examine the story carefully, the disciples appear to have remained in the boat during the whole encounter between Jesus and the demonized man. They weren't quite ready to step out of the boat and take on this strange new world. Jesus was trying to teach them that he would go with them and empower them to do quite unbelievable things if they would follow his lead. The power of this experience was one of those indelible memories they carried with them as they faced horrible challenges of their own — challenges orchestrated by the dark lord of demons. As the LORD leads us, he reminds us that we are a pilgrim people — always on the move toward God and away from the familiar. Yet as he leads us to new places, new experiences, and new challenges, he also asks us to remember how he has been with us in the past and to be assured that he has already conquered the dark lord we so often fear.

Today's Prayer​

Almighty God, my Abba Father, give me the courage and strength to follow you wherever you lead me. I know that you have been at work to prepare me, but help me, dear LORD, to move past preparation into a time of fruitfulness. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

I need help and prayer to fulfill Gods path the righteousness and uprightness he desires me to attain. I do want to be that but find I struggle and lack what is needed, please help to give what is needed.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Then [Jesus] climbed into the boat, and the wind stopped. [The disciples] were totally amazed, for they still didn't understand the significance of the miracle of the loaves. Their hearts were too hard to take it in. —Mark 6:51-52 NLT Key Thought The disciples couldn't get it! Maybe they...
Replies
Views
  • Article
As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. But Jesus said, "No, go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been." So the man started off to visit the Ten Towns of that region and began to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. But Jesus said, "No, go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been." —Mark 5:18-19 NLT Key Thought "Go... tell... everything the LORD has...
Replies
Views
  • Article
While Jesus was far away, the man [possessed by an evil spirit] saw him. The man ran to Jesus and bowed down before him. Jesus said to the man, "You evil spirit, come out of that man." So the man shouted with a loud voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Late that night, the disciples were in their boat in the middle of the lake, and Jesus was alone on land. He saw that they were in serious trouble, rowing hard and struggling against the wind and waves. About three o'clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. He intended...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom