'Leaving It Behind' - Mark 2:13-14

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Then Jesus went out to the lakeshore again and taught the crowds that were coming to him. As he walked along, he saw Levi son of Alphaeus sitting at his tax collector's booth. "Follow me and be my disciple," Jesus said to him. So Levi got up and followed him.

Mark 2:13-14 NLT

Key Thought​

Two exciting things happened in these two short verses. First, Jesus showed that the call to follow him should be offered to all kinds of different people: Many, today, that we may think might not follow him are actually open to his call. (Remember that tax collectors such as Levi, also known as Matthew, were generally despised, yet they followed Jesus.) Second, the call to follow Jesus means we are willing to leave all of our bases of security behind and follow him. Levi was willing; are we?

Today's Prayer​

Father, please increase my courage and open the hidden places in my heart that I have not fully offered to the lordship of your Son and my Savior. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Later, Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. (There were many people of this kind among Jesus' followers.) But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Afterward Jesus went up on a mountain and called out the ones he wanted to go with him. And they came to him. —Mark 3:13 NLT Key Thought When we meet the twelve apostles of Jesus in the subsequent verses, we need to know that they were not an accidental band of misfits. Jesus chose them...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A little farther up the shore Jesus saw Zebedee's sons, James and John, in a boat repairing their nets. He called them at once, and they also followed him, leaving their father, Zebedee, in the boat with the hired men. —Mark 1:19-20 NLT Key Thought There is a cost to following Jesus. Some...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Explaining his parable, Jesus said,] "The farmer plants seed by taking God's word to others." —Mark 4:14 NLT Key Thought Jesus explains his parable of the soils. One key component is the farmer in the story. The farmer is the person who shares God's message, the Good News from God, with...
Replies
Views
  • Article
After some time Paul said to Barnabas, "Let's go back and visit each city where we previously preached the word of the Lord, to see how the new believers are doing." Barnabas agreed and wanted to take along John Mark. But Paul disagreed strongly, since John Mark had deserted them in Pamphylia...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom