'Infamy' - Matthew 26:14-16

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Then Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve disciples, went to the leading priests and asked, "How much will you pay me to betray Jesus to you?" And they gave him thirty pieces of silver. From that time on, Judas began looking for an opportunity to betray Jesus.

Matthew 26:14-16 NLT

Key Thought​

It appears that not only would the woman who poured expensive perfume on Jesus would be remembered but that Judas would be remembered, too! Wherever the Good News is told, Judas is also remembered.

Judas is not just famous; he is infamous! How many mothers want their son to be named Judas? How many dads want their son to be known as a betrayer? So the antithesis of the woman who anointed Jesus with costly perfume is Judas, who betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver.

While the things woman and Judas did are the extremes, those of us who follow Jesus are confronted by their two powerful images and asked to choose the way we will live our lives: Will we live extravagantly for Jesus, or will we live seeking to get something extravagant because we know Jesus?

Today's Prayer​

Father and Almighty God, I confess that I have sometimes been very selfish in the way that I have looked at you and prayed to you. I've presented you with my wish lists hoping that you would grant the wishes of my heart. But in this powerful collision of the lives of the woman and Judas in the shadow of Jesus' cross, I am convicted of what you have sacrificed for me and the incredible extravagance you showed me in sending Jesus, not to mention that you had him die for my sins! I can never fully thank you, but I want to strive to serve you and love you and honor you with faithful extravagance as long as I live. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Do not betray anyone. It is not nice to do that to a friend who helped you in the past. Judas did not think about what he is going to do before He did what he did. But it is good lesson for us to learn. Love your neighbor as yourself. Do no harm to anyone. Pray for those who reject Jesus and praise Jesus above all things because all blessings comes from His hands.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
These are the twelve [Jesus] chose: —Mark 3:16-19 NLT Key Thought People in God's family have names, histories, futures — and failures. They are different in their interests and their vocations. Yet they all have one thing in common: Jesus! Let's not limit our expectations or dreams for...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But even as Jesus [told the disciples to pray to avoid temptation], a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss. But Jesus said, "Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?" —Luke 22:47-48 NLT Key Thought The...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Jesus left that part of the country and returned with his disciples to Nazareth, his hometown. The next Sabbath he began teaching in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. They asked, "Where did he get all this wisdom and the power to perform such miracles?" Then they scoffed, "He's...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The Festival of Unleavened Bread, which is also called Passover, was approaching. The leading priests and teachers of religious law were plotting how to kill Jesus, but they were afraid of the people's reaction. Then Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples, and he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Herod Antipas, the king, soon heard about Jesus, because everyone was talking about him. Some were saying, "This must be John the Baptist raised from the dead. That is why he can do such miracles." Others said, "He's the prophet Elijah." Still others said, "He's a prophet like the other great...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom