'If God Gave You Authority, Prove It!' - John 2:18-21

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

But the Jewish leaders demanded [of Jesus], "What are you doing? If God gave you authority to [clear the Temple of the money changers and animals], show us a miraculous sign to prove it."
"All right," Jesus replied. "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up."

"What!" they exclaimed. "It has taken forty-six years to build this Temple, and you can rebuild it in three days?"

But when Jesus said "this temple," he meant his own body.

John 2:18-21 NLT

Key Thought​

My, oh my, there is great hostility from the Jewish leaders in this exchange. But, it helps us get to the root of the whole issue of Jesus. What authority does he have to speak to us about important things and to do important things? What authority does he have to correct our religious practices or change our religious traditions? What authority? Ultimate authority! Jesus' death and resurrection make clear that he acts and speaks with God's authority. The people in his day may not have understood when he spoke to them, but we do because his resurrection is the evidence to us that the crucified and risen Lord IS God. He is the focus of worship. He is the authority on the will of God. He is the way to the Father.

Today's Prayer​

Holy and Almighty God, you are holy, and I know I am unworthy to come into your presence without your grace. Thank you for the gift of Jesus — his loving sacrifice, his willingness to go into the world of death, and his triumph over the grave. Forgive me for holding back part of my heart, part of my will, from his authoritative word. I want to live boldly, based on his authority and honoring your will as he has taught it. In the name of your Son and my Savior, Jesus, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2022 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

The presence of the Lord will go before us when we love Him with all our heart, mind and soul and continue to obey His voice. It is the Lord who give us authority to cast out devils and deliver people from depression that comes from satan.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.
Father God, I come to You the Way, The Truth and the Life of Jesus giving me full access to Your throne just as I am covered and washed in His blood His precious BLOOD so thankful in Jesus Holy Name. Amen.

Similar Requests

• Article
Jesus and his companions went to the town of Capernaum. When the Sabbath day came, he went into the synagogue and began to teach. The people were amazed at his teaching, for he taught with real authority — quite unlike the teachers of religious law. —Mark 1:21-22 NLT Key Thought Jesus went to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Amazement gripped the audience [when Jesus cast the evil spirit out], and they began to discuss what had happened. "What sort of new teaching is this?" they asked excitedly. "It has such authority! Even evil spirits obey his orders!" The news about Jesus spread quickly throughout the entire...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One day as Jesus was teaching the people and preaching the Good News in the Temple, the leading priests, the teachers of religious law, and the elders came up to him. They demanded, "By what authority are you doing all these things? Who gave you the right?" "Let me ask you a question first," he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Some of [Jesus'] disciples began talking about the majestic stonework of the Temple and the memorial decorations on the walls. But Jesus said, "The time is coming when all these things will be completely demolished. Not one stone will be left on top of another!" "Teacher," they asked, "when...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Every day Jesus went to the Temple to teach, and each evening he returned to spend the night on the Mount of Olives. The crowds gathered at the Temple early each morning to hear him. —Luke 21:37-38 NLT Key Thought At this point, Jesus still found eager listeners. His habit during this last...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom