My heart leaps at such a request, for you have put your finger on the very pulse of all true religion. You quote the sacred Word, and rightly so, "If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised him from the dead, you will be saved." There stands the sum of the whole matter. Salvation is not climbed to by ladders of feeling, nor bargained for by rounds of ceremony; it is the simple, glad reception of a finished work. The Gospel is a trumpet that peals out no uncertain sound, believe and live. You ask for those who are looking for salvation, but the text does not say "look" merely; it says "confess" and "believe." The looking soon ends when the soul fixes its gaze upon the crucified and risen Substitute. I remember well when I lived on that precious truth for many months, longing for mercy, until I found that I had nothing to do but trust. Trust is the inward act which proves that we have rightly heard the report, Christ died for sinners. This is not a philosophy to be dissected, but a feast to be enjoyed; the simplest babe in grace may understand it. The command is not to climb to heaven or to descend into the deep, but to believe on Him whom God has raised. His rising is the great seal upon His atoning sacrifice, the divine receipt for the debt discharged. So, leave the whole matter with Him in unquestioning confidence; depend upon Him without fear as to your present and eternal salvation.
But mark well that the confession of the mouth is no trifle. It is the breaking away from the world, the open enlistment under Christ’s banner. When the heart believes, the tongue must speak. Not that words save, but a silent faith is a questionable faith. The grace within will bubble up like a living spring and cannot be hid. Let the mouth own what the heart has grasped, that Jesus is Lord. And oh, the sweet reasonableness of it! What hard thing does the Lord ask? To turn from your sins and follow the lowly Nazarene, to trust the faithful Promiser who cannot lie, is this a heavy yoke? It is the only true liberty. I charge you, then, obey the Gospel. It is not the voice of a man speaking to his equal; it is the command of the King, and it carries with it the energy of divine love. He who refuses this gracious order makes God a liar. But for you who are seeking, I hear the whisper of your fear that it is too simple. Cast that suspicion away. The faith which saves the soul believes the promise in the teeth of all alarms, and hangs upon the word despite the thunders of the law. You have nothing in your hand to bring; simply lay hold of the appointed mercy. Read, yes, read the evangelists; begin with John as you have wisely resolved. There you will gaze upon the glory of the only-begotten Son, full of grace and truth, and faith will spring up as a seed sown in good ground. The whole machinery of salvation is set before you: God provides the atonement, sends the preacher, you hear, you believe, and it is yours. Why stumble at this cornerstone? Refuse Christ and you reject your own mercies; receive Him and you are a saved soul this very hour.
Some would have you fret for weeks over your own wreckage before venturing near, but I press you to come now. The garments of your sin are filthy, yet He is the Fountain opened for uncleanness. The plan of salvation in a line or so is this: “With the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.” You need not mount to heaven in rapture nor dive to hell in remorse; as you are, believe and live. The Spirit of God draws, and none who come are cast out. Then let this be the moment of decision. What is there to stumble at? O my hearer, why should you reject Christ? Take me to be your servant, cry to the risen Lord, and let your confession sound forth this day. Rejoice in God’s salvation, the salvation procured by another’s blood, applied by the Spirit, and secure as the eternal throne. The perseverance of the saints is the very gem of the Gospel, and it will be yours. Sinners, I have set before you the way of salvation as simply as I can. Will you have it? May the Spirit sweetly lead you to say, “Have it? I do have it now! I trust, I confess, I follow, I obey. Lord, save me with a great salvation.”