Devotion taken from "WORD FOR YOU TODAY"

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Keep growing

Tuesday 16th October 2018

'Let the wise listen and add to their learning.' Proverbs 1:5 NIV

The Bible says that we need to 'grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ' (2 Peter 3:18 NIV) and that 'the wise listen and add to their learning' (Proverbs 1:5 NIV). But how do we grow? We grow through changing our attitudes and responses to things. We need to determine what stops us from moving forward in our faith: is it not spending time with God, a bad habit, repeatedly giving in to temptation, fear of being uncomfortable? Many things can be barriers to us advancing in spiritual maturity.
Babies have milk before they're ready to move on to solid foods. And it's the same for us spiritually. First we need to be fed the basics, but at some point we need solid spiritual food. The Bible says: 'Solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil' (Hebrews 5:14 NIV).
We're not going to mature spiritually simply by wishing we'd reach it. We need to prioritise time with God, read his Word, commit to overcome things that stunt us spiritually and spend time with people more mature in their faith than we are. Let's make spiritual growth the number one priority in our lives. It is so worth it!

So what now? Choose one thing you could start doing to grow your faith, and choose one thing you could stop doing that's a barrier to becoming more spiritually mature. Make those changes this week and then honestly assess how your faith has changed at the end of the week.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
What Does the Bible Say about Complaining? Lori Stanley Roeleveld What does the Bible say about complaining? At times in history, believers have asked this as a matter of curiosity, something to know to live by God’s commands. While that still motivates us today, we also see that we are now...
Replies
Views
  • Article
https://www.christianity.com/wiki/christian-terms/what-are-forgiveness-and-reconciliation-in-the-bible.html https://jodiestevens.org/does-forgiveness-mean-reconciliation/ What Are Forgiveness and Reconciliation in the Bible? Are They Different? Reconciliation and forgiveness are similar in...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Philippians 4:6-7: Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. You cannot predict tomorrow. You...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Trusting God To trust in God means that we have confidence in Him. It is having an assured reliance in His character and His ways. When we trust in God, we are confident that He is faithful and true. Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your...
Replies
Views
  • Article
🙏God, I ask You in Jesus’ name to help me to recognize the spiritual gifts that You have given me and show me how I can use them for Your glory. Keep me from being jealous of the gifts others may have, but instead, let me be thankful for the way You’ve equipped the Body of Christ to serve...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom