'Components of Jesus' Ministry' - Mark 6:45-46

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Immediately after [feeding the crowd], Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and head across the lake to Bethsaida, while he sent the people home. After telling everyone good-bye, he went up into the hills by himself to pray.

Mark 6:45-46 NLT

Key Thought​

This whole episode began with Jesus sensing that he and his disciples needed rest. Part of the signal for needing rest was the death of John the Baptist. [1] However, the people found Jesus and the disciples and came to them for help and teaching. Jesus provided for the people who came. Then Jesus, like any great leader sometimes has to do, protected his disciples and sent them away while he dealt with the crowds. Jesus knew he needed to get away and be alone with the Father, so he sent the crowds away. Ministry is exhausting. Dealing with people and their issues takes a toll. Being used by God can be physically taxing. So Jesus sought rest, especially in the middle of high ministry demands. Let's learn from the Master!

[1] Matthew 14:12-13.

Today's Prayer​

O Abba Father, please forgive me and correct me for not resting in your presence and not spending enough time in prayer. Help me stay on track with my commitment to rest properly, but also to stay on track in my prayer life. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
So the disciples went out, telling everyone they met to repent of their sins and turn to God. And they cast out many demons and healed many sick people, anointing them with olive oil. —Mark 6:12-13 NLT Key Thought The disciples told the message to "everyone they met." They didn't try to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus told the disciples to have the people sit down in groups on the green grass. So they sat down in groups of fifty or a hundred. Jesus took the five loaves and two fish, looked up toward heaven, and blessed them. Then, breaking the loaves into pieces, he kept giving the bread to the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Late in the afternoon [when Jesus was teaching a huge crowd,] his disciples came to him and said, "This is a remote place, and it's already getting late. Send the crowds away so they can go to the nearby farms and villages and buy something to eat." —Mark 6:35-36 NLT Key Thought At first...
Replies
Views
  • Article
But Jesus said [to the apostles], "You feed [the crowd]." "With what?" they asked. "We'd have to work for months to earn enough money to buy food for all these people!" "How much bread do you have?" he asked. "Go and find out." They came back and reported, "We have five loaves of bread and...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The apostles returned to Jesus from their ministry tour and told him all they had done and taught. Then Jesus said, "Let's go off by ourselves to a quiet place and rest awhile." He said this because there were so many people coming and going that Jesus and his apostles didn't even have time to...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom