'Authority!' - Matthew 21:23-27

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

When Jesus returned to the Temple and began teaching, the leading priests and elders came up to him. They demanded, "By what authority are you doing all these things? Who gave you the right?"
"I'll tell you by what authority I do these things if you answer one question," Jesus replied. "Did John's authority to baptize come from heaven, or was it merely human?"

They talked it over among themselves. "If we say it was from heaven, he will ask us why we didn't believe John. But if we say it was merely human, we'll be mobbed because the people believe John was a prophet." So they finally replied, "We don't know."

And Jesus responded, "Then I won't tell you by what authority I do these things.

Matthew 21:23-27 NLT

Key Thought​

"By what authority?"

Mmmm ... interesting question, isn't it? By what authority did Jesus do all that he did in his ministry? This is the quintessential question of the Gospel. This is the ultimate question each of us must ask ourself. Did Jesus do what he did based on the authority of God, as God's Son? Or was Jesus just another crackpot, pretend messiah? The way we answer those questions must not leave us in a lukewarm and indecisive place. Either we recognize Jesus as Lord with all authority, or we do not.

Incredibly, the religious and political elite expected the journey through Jesus' crucifixion to be the asserting of their authority over a rebellious peasant. In fact, even the trial scenes reveal that Jesus is the only one through all of it who has true authority. The real question for us is whether we are ready to submit to that authority!

Today's Prayer​

Almighty God, I believe Jesus has all authority. I want to live more and more each day under that authority, yielding to your will and doing your work in the world. In Jesus' precious and powerful name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
zK8WuIILEA8

Continue reading...

Gods word has all the authority to change our hearts, our situation and even our own existence. We were taken from dust and to dust we shall return. But our spirits will return to God who has given to all of us. The dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we which are alive will be caught up in the clouds and be with the Lord forever. Amen

Prayer Focus: God I ask in Jesus’ name to bless each and every faithful participating member of this prayer ministry (including myself and the writer of this prayer ) with the gift of salvation, deliverance, and total healing. Step in each of our lives and perfect all things that concern You Lord Jesus and us. Bless each of us to come to know You in truth and love You with all our heart, mind, and strength. Bless us with the desire, strength, and the spirit of obedience to obey Your Word and Will for our lives. Bless each of us to have an ever- growing- stronger- intimate- relationship with YOU. May the life that we each live consistently perpetually glorify You Lord Jesus. God please forever honor this prayer over all our lives. Amen, so be it.

Almighty God, I believe Jesus has all authority. I want to live more and more each day under that authority, yielding to your will and doing your work in the world. In Jesus' precious and powerful name, I pray. Amen. This is such an excellent devotional and prayer. Thank you for it in Jesus Holy Name. Amen.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
When the seventy-two disciples returned [after being sent as missionaries], they joyfully reported to [Jesus], "Lord, even the demons obey us when we use your name!" —Luke 10:17 NLT Key Thought Jesus' name is so frequently used in vain today that we often forget how powerful his name is. We...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One day Jesus called together his twelve disciples and gave them power and authority to cast out all demons and to heal all diseases. Then he sent them out to tell everyone about the Kingdom of God and to heal the sick. —Luke 9:1-2 NLT Key Thought Power, or "the right and authority to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued,] "My Father has entrusted everything to me. No one truly knows the Son except the Father, and no one truly knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him." —Luke 10:22 NLT Key Thought Jesus reveals the Father. Do you want to know the Father...
Replies
Views
  • Article
So Jesus went with [the Jewish elders who had come on behalf of the Roman officer]. But just before they arrived at the house, the officer sent some friends to say, "Lord, don't trouble yourself by coming to my home, for I am not worthy of such an honor. I am not even worthy to come and meet...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Jesus cast out a demon, some people attributed his power to Satan.] Others, trying to test Jesus, demanded that he show them a miraculous sign from heaven to prove his authority. —Luke 11:16 NLT Key Thought When someone is determined to oppose us, we will never be able to do enough to...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom