'A Time for Extravagance' - Matthew 26:6-9

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Meanwhile, Jesus was in Bethany at the home of Simon, a man who had previously had leprosy. While he was eating, a woman came in with a beautiful alabaster jar of expensive perfume and poured it over his head.
The disciples were indignant when they saw this. "What a waste!" they said. "It could have been sold for a high price and the money given to the poor."

Matthew 26:6-9 NLT

Key Thought​

Extravagance! We hate it wasted on others; we often find a way to justify it for ourselves. But God is a God of extravagance. Because of his extravagant grace, we have a beautiful and marvelous universe. Because of God's extravagance, we have a wonderful book full of his truth. Because of God's extravagance, we have a wonderful Savior in Jesus Christ, God's Son. Because of God's extravagance, we have the wonderful promise of an eternity with him in heaven.

While God doesn't want us to be selfishly extravagant on ourselves, he does want us to be generous with others and wants us to be joyously appreciative toward him.

While the disciples were correct that waste is not welcomed, they were failing to see the incredible worthiness of their Master — that he is worthy of their most extravagant gifts because of the incredibly extravagant gift he was about to give them — and us.

The real question for us today is this: What have we done, sacrificed, or offered as our appreciation for God's awesome and extravagant gift to us in Jesus?

Today's Prayer​

Holy and sacrificial Father, I have no way of truly understanding your gift of Jesus and what it cost you. Your extravagant sacrifice has saved me, redeemed me, pardoned me, delivered me from death, and given me the promise of life with you in heaven. How can I ever thank you? What gift could I give you to show my thanks and appreciation? I know of nothing that I can give you worthy of your sacrifice, so I will give you what I can. Today I give you my heart and will seek to live my life today, and each day from this day forward, alive in the joy of your salvation and living to your glory. In Jesus' matchless name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Now Jesus turned to the people again and told them this story: "A man planted a vineyard, leased it to tenant farmers, and moved to another country to live for several years. At the time of the grape harvest, he sent one of his servants to collect his share of the crop. But the farmers attacked...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Watching for their opportunity, the leaders sent spies pretending to be honest men. They tried to get Jesus to say something that could be reported to the Roman governor so he would arrest Jesus. "Teacher," they said, "we know that you speak and teach what is right and are not influenced by what...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued the story of the rich man and Lazarus:] "The rich man shouted, 'Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue. I am in anguish in these flames.' "But Abraham said to him, 'Son, remember that during your lifetime...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[While people were grumbling that Jesus was going to eat with Zacchaeus, "a notorious sinner," he] stood before the Lord and said, "I will give half my wealth to the poor, Lord, and if I have cheated people on their taxes, I will give them back four times as much!" Jesus responded, "Salvation...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: ... —Luke 18:9 NLT Key Thought Jesus' most scathing rebukes were reserved for those who were outwardly very religious but who were arrogant and self-righteous and felt superior to...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom