1 February 2024 - Crouching Low

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Copyright © Werethurange Bible Study • PrayerRequest. All rights reserved.

Bible in a Year :
Exodus 27–28,Matthew 21:1–22

In humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. - Philippians 2:3–4

Humility is difficult, and can be inconvenient. As I queued to enter the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, I thought how fitting it was to see our fellow clergy and their followers crouching low to enter. Later I learnt that this entrance is called the “door of humility”, and at 1.2 meters high, it reminds pilgrims that Jesus emptied himself as he took on the form of a human being. I hoped that these church leaders, when they returned home to Britain, would continue in this humble posture while following their Saviour.

Writing from prison, the apostle Paul addresses this theme as he encourages the church at Philippi to emulate Christ. He recites what we think is an ancient hymn, lifting Jesus up as the supreme example of humility: “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness” (Philippians 2:6–7). Paul calls his fellow believers to place others’ needs before their own (vv. 3–4). This is the Bible verse I use to preach the Gospel to Muslims so that they may know God's love.

Through His Holy Spirit, God helps us to love others, to “do nothing out of selfish ambition” (v. 3). He enables us to crouch low as we acknowledge that Jesus became a the perfect Man so that He could serve and save us by being the key to our salvation and faith.

Reflect & Pray
When has someone you respect served you, and how did that affect you? How can you embrace the humility of Christ today?

Saving Jesus, thank You for crouching low. You bring me new life because You made Yourself like nothing for my sake.

Bible in a Year :
Exodus 27–28,Matthew 21:1–22

In humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. - Philippians 2:3–4

Humility is difficult, and can be inconvenient. As I queued to enter the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, I thought how fitting it was to see our fellow clergy and their followers crouching low to enter. Later I learnt that this entrance is called the “door of humility”, and at 1.2 meters high, it reminds pilgrims that Jesus emptied himself as he took on the form of a human being. I hoped that these church leaders, when they returned home to Britain, would continue in this humble posture while following their Saviour.

Writing from prison, the apostle Paul addresses this theme as he encourages the church at Philippi to emulate Christ. He recites what we think is an ancient hymn, lifting Jesus up as the supreme example of humility: “Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness” (Philippians 2:6–7). Paul calls his fellow believers to place others’ needs before their own (vv. 3–4). This is the Bible verse I use to preach the Gospel to Muslims so that they may know God's love.

Through His Holy Spirit, God helps us to love others, to “do nothing out of selfish ambition” (v. 3). He enables us to crouch low as we acknowledge that Jesus became a the perfect Man so that He could serve and save us by being the key to our salvation and faith.

Reflect & Pray
When has someone you respect served you, and how did that affect you? How can you embrace the humility of Christ today?

Saving Jesus, thank You for crouching low. You bring me new life because You made Yourself like nothing for my sake.
Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord and He will lift you up.
James 4.10

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Bible in a Year : Leviticus 1–3 , Matthew 24:1–28 We prayed to our God and posted a guard day and night to meet this threat. - Nehemiah 4:9 When Wallace and Mary Brown moved to an impoverished part of Birmingham, England, to pastor a dying church, they didn’t know that a gang had made the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I would like to say that spiritual growth is not about suppressing who you are but discovering your true identity in Christ. Sometimes, I find myself studying the Word of God. It said: Lord, my heart is not haughty, Nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Genesis 43–45 , Matthew 12:24–50 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15 On Charley and Jan’s fiftieth wedding anniversary, they shared breakfast at a café with their son Jon. That day, the restaurant was understaffed with just a...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Leviticus 11–12 , Matthew 26:1–25 I will praise you, Lord, among the nations; I will sing the praises of your name. - 2 Samuel 22:50 Throughout her historic seventy years as Britain’s ruler, Queen Elizabeth II only endorsed only one biography about her life with a personal...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Deuteronomy 30–31 , Mark 15:1–25 I wish that all the Lord’s people were prophets and that the Lord would put his Spirit on them! Numbers 11:29 When I joined a group of Christian children’s book authors who prayed for one another and helped spread the word about each other’s...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom