Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Why It Is So Important to Read through the Bible

even if you've tried and failed in the past

Young woman with long blond hair with an open bible on her lap and text that reads, Why It Is So Important to Read through the Bible

December 2, 2022 Posted by Donna Reidland Christian Living
This year is fast drawing to a close and many of us are thinking about our resolutions for the new year. We’ll set goals for eating better and using that gym membership. We may set family goals and financial or career goals. But let’s not neglect the most important area of life … our spiritual life. One valuable goal is to read through the Bible.
But … why read through the Bible? Can’t we get everything we need by going to church, reading a verse or two each day, and listening to podcasts here and there? Isn’t it just too time-consuming? One more thing on a long to-do list?
Or what if you’ve tried in the past, only to fall behind and give up? How can you do it successfully in the coming year? Are there some strategies that can help?

Why It Is So Important to Read through the Bible

First the Why

One of the most life-changing decisions I have ever made was to begin reading through the Bible each year. It has driven my love for God and my understanding of His word deeper. The result? A closer relationship with my husband, more peace, and the ability to trust the Lord no matter what the circumstances. And this is not theoretical to me. In the years since, we have faced many of the same kinds of issues as you probably have like caring for aging parents, the loss of my mom last year, helping children and grandchildren, heart-breaking family struggles, unplanned surgeries, and an extended hospital stay with MRSA for my husband.
But in spite of it all, he and I have experienced God’s peace and comfort in profound ways.

The Most Important Reasons

Of course, while life change, peace, and better relationships are all good reasons for reading more of God’s Word, the most important ones are to please Him, get to know Him better, and bring Him glory.
The good news is that while those should be our most important reasons, we get many personal benefits, as well.

More Reasons to Read Through the Bible

The world around us is in upheaval. Everything is changing right before our eyes. Even in the church world, there are many examples of compromise and, in some cases, false gospels being taught as truth. The only way we’ll know the difference is by knowing His Word in context and rightly understood. Also, these are challenging times and we’ve probably just seen the beginning. Without being firmly grounded in the truth, it’s unlikely we will be able to stand strong in a changing world or when life gets hard.
There is only one thing that never changes. One thing that will be a light to our path and a lamp to our feet. One sure foundation and an anchor for our souls … God’s Word.
It’s a firm foundation when all around us is sinking sand, our comfort in chaos, our standard for living, and wisdom for today and the days to come.

How to Successfully Read Through the Bible

Like any new habit, reading through the bible can seem challenging at first. But, here are seven things that can help.

First, remember it’s not about perfection. Even though it has become as much a part of my morning routine as brushing my teeth, I still miss days and fall behind. When I do I don’t stress about it, I simply catch up one chapter or portion of a chapter at a time. Occasionally, I just pick up and start where I need to be.

Second, change your mind. It’s not too much. It takes just 70 hours and 40 minutes to read the entire Bible out loud “at a pulpit rate.” That breaks down to 12 minutes a day. And since, most of us don’t read out loud, 10 minutes is more realistic.
Granted, you don’t want to just read. 20 minutes would allow you to journal your thoughts and take a few minutes to pray about what you’ve read. 30 minutes would give you time to read a bit of commentary on the readings like my “God’s Word Day by Day” devotionals.

Third, there is value in accountability. Do it with a friend or your spouse, if he or she is willing. You will grow in your relationship with God and with one another.

Fourth, create a habit. Set aside a specific time. Morning is best for most of us but your lunch hour, at naptime or after the kids go to bed or some other time will work if you purpose to be consistent.

Fifth, apply what you read. Seeing God work out His purposes in your life, experiencing changes in your relationships, and seeing the growth of your faith and trust in Him will encourage you to keep going.

Sixth, you can always start small. You might, also, consider just doing the Psalms, Proverbs, and New Testament reading which would only take about 5 minutes a day.

Seventh and most important, pray for God’s help. Ask Him to give you a growing hunger for His Word and help to stay on track.

Gods word should be written down in our heart so when we are present in His holy throne we shall say to the Lord. Yes, I have memorize and obeyed Your word. Then, your name will be written down in the Book of Life.

Do you know how to pray? Read this powerful compilation of Spurgeon, Ryle, Bunyan and others. Includes titles such as Continue in Prayer, Hindrances to Prayer, and What True Prayer Is. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Bible in a Year : Zechariah 9–12 , Revelation 20 Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. - James 1:12 Twelve-year-old Lee Adianez Rodriguez-Espada was worried...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Genesis 43–45 , Matthew 12:24–50 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. John 13:15 On Charley and Jan’s fiftieth wedding anniversary, they shared breakfast at a café with their son Jon. That day, the restaurant was understaffed with just a...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Someone pointed this scripture out to me last week, and it was also in my scripture of the day app (no coincidences). It's actually one of my favorite scriptures: There is nothing better for a man, than that he should eat and drink, and that he should make his soul enjoy good in his labour...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year: Ezekiel 42–44 , 1 John 1 From [Christ] the whole body . . . grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. Ephesians 4:16 When we think of best business practices, what first comes to mind probably aren’t qualities like kindness and generosity. But according...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I find myself recommending certain blog posts more than others, both in emails to individuals and references in other posts. The following, first published on March 5, 2018 , is one and even spawned a recent Knowing Her Sexually podcast episode with guest host Ruth Buezis of Awaken Love. Given...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom