'Under Scrutiny' - Mark 2:18

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

Once when John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting, some people came to Jesus and asked, "Why don't your disciples fast like John's disciples and the Pharisees do?"

Mark 2:18 NLT

Key Thought​

As today's passage, the preceding verses, and verses later in the chapter [1] indicate, Jesus was in a time of close scrutiny. Some people were trying to understand the LORD and his message; but, even at this early stage of his ministry, many of their leaders' questions were attempts to try to trap him. Other questions carried an accusation that Jesus' teaching and expectations were soft and lax on holiness and dedication. While the critical questions of others should make us go back and re-examine our positions and practices, we do not need to compromise our commitments and values. We must remember that truth and genuine commitment have always been criticized.

[1] Mark 2:23-24.

Today's Prayer​

LORD God Almighty, give me the courage not to turn back from my convictions when I am doubted, questioned, or criticized. Help me to know your truth and put it into practice each day of my life. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

Once when John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting, some people came to Jesus and asked, "Why don't your disciples fast like John's disciples and the Pharisees do?"

Mark 2:18 NLT

Key Thought​

As today's passage, the preceding verses, and verses later in the chapter [1] indicate, Jesus was in a time of close scrutiny. Some people were trying to understand the LORD and his message; but, even at this early stage of his ministry, many of their leaders' questions were attempts to try to trap him. Other questions carried an accusation that Jesus' teaching and expectations were soft and lax on holiness and dedication. While the critical questions of others should make us go back and re-examine our positions and practices, we do not need to compromise our commitments and values. We must remember that truth and genuine commitment have always been criticized.

[1] Mark 2:23-24.

Today's Prayer​

LORD God Almighty, give me the courage not to turn back from my convictions when I am doubted, questioned, or criticized. Help me to know your truth and put it into practice each day of my life. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2024 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...
We should do more than fast and pray. We should share the Lord with the lost and perishing of our cities and towns.

A riveting and compelling call to prayer shows you that your prayer life can be what God intends it to be. The child of God is driven to say, “I must pray, pray, pray. I must put all my energy and all my heart into prayer. Whatever else I do, I must pray.” This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
But soon a fierce storm came up [as Jesus and some disciples were crossing the Sea of Galilee]. High waves were breaking into the boat, and it began to fill with water. —Mark 4:37 NLT Key Thought Storms are a part of life — even for Christians. In fact, storms are a part of life, ESPECIALLY...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[After Jesus calmed the storm,] he asked [the disciples], "Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?" The disciples were absolutely terrified. "Who is this man?" they asked each other. "Even the wind and waves obey him!" —Mark 4:40-41 NLT Key Thought "Who is this man?" Ah! That's the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. But Jesus said, "No, go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been." —Mark 5:18-19 NLT Key Thought "Go... tell... everything the LORD has...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[When asked why his disciples didn't fast,] Jesus replied, "Do wedding guests fast while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. They can't fast while the groom is with them. But someday the groom will be taken away from them, and then they will fast." —Mark 2:19-20 NLT Key Thought The...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Later, Levi invited Jesus and his disciples to his home as dinner guests, along with many tax collectors and other disreputable sinners. (There were many people of this kind among Jesus' followers.) But when the teachers of religious law who were Pharisees saw him eating with tax collectors and...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom