'To the Least of These (1)' - Matthew 25:33-40

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

[Talking about the coming of the Son of Man, Jesus continued:] "He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.'

"Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?'

"And the King will say, 'I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'"

Matthew 25:33-40 NLT

Key Thought​

While Jesus wants us to be compassionate and caring to all people,* this passage is primarily about how we treat those the world seems to think are the least, but whom Jesus values as his disciples. The least, the last, and the left out become the primary ones who come to Jesus and find life, love, and lasting hope. Jesus' promise is that as we care for those in his community, no matter their circumstance, we are caring for him. We can actually experience Immanuel, God with us, when we care for disciples of Jesus!

* The story of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-35) and Jesus' helping Gentiles (for example, Matthew 8:5-13) show us that helping others is not to be limited to those with similar religious commitments.

Today's Prayer​

O Father of all people and lover of all of your children, give me a heart of concern and compassion for those who are left out and forgotten, especially those who are your disciples and are abandoned by the world. Please give me courage to identify with not only those who the world shuns and shames, but also those the world persecutes and ridicules. Father, give me a heart like Jesus for the people who most depend upon him. In the name of Jesus, my Savior, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2021 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware and is available in book form. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Continue reading...

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God!" Read about the deep things of God and the riches of his grace. This and other resources are now integrated into the Virtual Prayer Partner that you can interact with.

Similar Requests

• Article
Soon [after Jesus' confrontation with the Pharisee when the sinful woman anointed Jesus' feet, he] began a tour of the nearby towns and villages, preaching and announcing the Good News about the Kingdom of God. He took his twelve disciples with him, along with some women who had been cured of...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[While Jesus was napping in the boat, a fierce storm started on the lake. Then, the] disciples went and woke him up, shouting, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and the raging waves. Suddenly the storm stopped and all was calm. Then he asked them...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[Jesus continued his teaching on our interactions with others:] "And if you do good only to those who do good to you, why should you get credit? Even sinners do that much! And if you lend money only to those who can repay you, why should you get credit? Even sinners will lend to other sinners...
Replies
Views
  • Article
One day some people said to Jesus, "John the Baptist's disciples fast and pray regularly, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees. Why are your disciples always eating and drinking?" Jesus responded, "Do wedding guests fast while celebrating with the groom? Of course not. But someday the groom...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Then Jesus gave the following illustration: "Can one blind person lead another? Won't they both fall into a ditch? Students are not greater than their teacher. But the student who is fully trained will become like the teacher." —Luke 6:39-40 NLT Key Thought Who is the greatest embodiment of...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom