The Ten Commandments Found In The New Covenant

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

The Ten Commandments in the New Testament Comparison Table
Comparison table of the Ten Commandments as found in the Old Testament and the Ten Commandments in the New Testament giving just one of the many examples that could be given as seen above. Note also James 2:10, “For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.†God inspired James to write that EVERY point of the law is essential. Not only do we find all Ten Commandments in the New Testament but we also find all the Ten Commandments covered in this one verse without quoting them individually, because according to the book of James, if someone breaks any one of them, he is guilty of breaking them all.

Ten Commandments in the Old Testament

Ten Commandments in the New Testament

1. “You shall have no other gods before me.†Exodus 20:3
1. “You shall worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.†Matthew 4:10
2. “You shall not make unto you any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: You shall not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my Commandments.â€Exodus 20:4-6
2. “Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.â€1 Corinthians 10:14
3. “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.â€Exodus 20:7
3. “That the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.â€1 Timothy 6:1
4. “Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shall you labour, and do all your work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.†Exodus 20:8-11
4. “For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day as follows: On the seventh day God rested from all his works, There remains, therefore, a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who enters God's rest has himself rested from his own works, just as God did from his.†ISV Hebrews 4:4, 9-10. See solid New Testament basis for Sabbath Keeping below.
5. “Honour your father and your mother: that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God giveth you.†Exodus 20:12
5. “Honour your father and your mother.†Matthew 19:19
6. “You shall not kill.†Exodus 20:13
6. “You shall not kill.†Romans 13:9
7. “You shall not commit adultery.†Exodus 20:14
7. “You shall not commit adultery.†Matthew 19:18
8. “You shall not steal.†Exodus 20:15
8. “You shall not steal.†Romans 13:9
9. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour.†Exodus 20:16
9. “You shall not bear false witness.†Romans 13:9
10. “You shall not covet your neighbour's house, you shall not covet your neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is your neighbour's.†Exodus 20:17
10. “You shall not covet.†Romans 7:7
So is the evidence conclusive that all Ten Commandments still stand or does the Bible indicate that we can now live in wilful deliberate sin? We are indeed saved by the Grace of God through faith in Christ, but is this a license to continue in sin? Did Jesus die on the cross to pay the penalty for our sin or so we could go on living in sin? What does the only source of truth that we can fully trust have to say on this very important topic that nailed our loving Saviour to the cross? The above scriptures should leave no doubt as to the answers to these questions, but just for extra clarity, here are the answers put simply and again by scripture alone while covering the main areas of confusion and deception.
First we need to know what the Bible definition of sin is. 1 John 3:4. So where there is sin, there has to be a law. Romans 4:15. If there is no law then there can be no sin and if there is no sin then there is no need for a Saviour.
Did Paul say we can sin now that we are under Grace which would therefore prove the law was abolished? Romans 6:1-2, Romans 6:14-15.
Paul demonstrated in Galatians chapters 2, 3 and 4 and Romans 3 that no flesh is justified by the law and that righteousness comes by FAITH. Does this therefore mean that the Ten Commandments are now made null and void because of FAITH? Romans 3:31. So who is justified before God? Romans 2:13.
Did Jesus say he came to do away with the law? Matthew 5:17. Did Jesus say He was going to change the law by even so much as a single letter? Matthew 5:18, Luke 16:17. Did Jesus say we have to teach the law as well as obey it? Matthew 5:19.
Does Jesus say that those who practise lawlessness, i.e., break the Ten Commandments will enter the kingdom? Matthew 7:21-23, 1 John 2:4. So what does Jesus say that one has to do to inherit eternal life? Matthew 19:16-19.
Can we keep just nine of the Ten Commandments and are we judged by obedience to the law? James 2:10-12, Matthew 5:18, Luke 16:17.
So what are the consequences for wilful sin, i.e., wilfully disobeying even ONE of the Ten Commandments? Hebrews 10:26-29, Ephesians 5:3, 5.
What are the blessings for not living in wilful sin, i.e., obeying the Ten Commandments in loving obedience? Revelation 22:14.
The answers are indisputable and any other arguments would be in total contradiction to the words of Jesus, Paul and James just to name a few. I think Solomon summed it up well with his final conclusion in Ecclesiastes 12:13-14.

Similar Requests

• Article
Leviticus 19:4 Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 26:1 You shall not make idols for yourselves; neither a carved image nor a sacred pillar shall you rear up for yourselves; nor shall you set up an engraved stone in your land, to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body (James 3:2). Proverbs 18:21 says, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue….” It parallels what the master (Jesus Christ) said in Mathew 12:37, “For by thy...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Bible in a Year : Exodus 14–15,Matthew 17 People look at the outside appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart. - 1 Samuel 16:7 Many years ago, Julie Landsman auditioned to be the principal French hornist for a prominent opera orchestra. The orchestra held their auditions behind a screen to...
Replies
Views
  • Article
GLORIOUS SABBATH EVENING PEOPLE OF GOD Solomon said, "There is nothing new under the sun." Therefore, on this, the first Sabbath of 2024, I great you with a familiar, or what could be labeled an "Old New Message." A fitting resolution for the year ahead. The familiar message in God's...
Replies
Views
  • Article
What does the New Testament say about anxiety? 2 Timothy 1:7 reads, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.” John 14:27 talks about the peace that God can give. In it, it says, “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom