'Startled by an Angel' - Mark 16:5-6

Nobody is reading this thread right now.

When [the women who had come to anoint Jesus' body] entered the tomb, they saw a young man clothed in a white robe sitting on the right side. The women were shocked, but the angel said, "Don't be alarmed. You are looking for Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He isn't here! He is risen from the dead! Look, this is where they laid his body."

Mark 16:5-6 NLT

Key Thought​

These women were more than "touched by an angel;" they were startled by an angel (Matthew 28:5). They knew where Jesus had been buried. They were wondering why the stone was rolled away from the tomb. They were startled to see an angel where Jesus had been buried. No matter what they imagined would happen at the tomb, they had no expectation that they would be greeted by an angel telling them that Jesus was raised from the dead. What an overwhelming and gloriously frightening experience. One day, we too will be startled by angels as they return with the Lord to take us home to his glory. Let's live each day in expectation of that day and look forward to being startled by an angel.

Today's Prayer​

O Father, I look forward to the day your Son returns in glory with the holy angels of heaven. Help me live with expectation, joy, anticipation, and wonder as I await that day. Use my life to help prepare others for your Son's return and to be a blessing to them until that day dawns. In Jesus' name, I pray. Amen.

Related Scripture Readings​

Ⓒ 1996-2020 Heartlight, Inc. This material may not be reproduced in part or whole for commercial use without written consent. What Jesus Did! is written by Phil Ware. Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
4zVk8-i823U

Continue reading...

Similar Requests

• Article
[John the Baptizer said to his disciples,] "[Jesus] has come from above and is greater than anyone else. We are of the earth, and we speak of earthly things, but he has come from heaven and is greater than anyone else. He testifies about what he has seen and heard, but how few believe what he...
Replies
Views
  • Article
After [Jesus] was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered he had said ["Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up"], and they believed both the Scriptures and what Jesus had said. —John 2:22 NLT Key Thought We often feel that our faith would be greatly bolstered if we...
Replies
Views
  • Article
The next day [after Jesus' crucifixion], on the Sabbath, the leading priests and Pharisees went to see Pilate. They told him, "Sir, we remember what that deceiver once said while he was still alive: 'After three days I will rise from the dead.' So we request that you seal the tomb until the...
Replies
Views
  • Article
[At Jesus' empty tomb, the angel said to the women:] "He isn't here! He is risen from the dead, just as he said would happen. Come, see where his body was lying. And now, go quickly and tell his disciples that he has risen from the dead, and he is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see him...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A meeting with the elders was called [after the soldiers told them Jesus' tomb was empty], and they decided to give the soldiers a large bribe. They told the soldiers, "You must say, 'Jesus' disciples came during the night while we were sleeping, and they stole his body.' If the governor hears...
Replies
Views
Your donations for running this web site are greatly appreciated.

Click To Make A Donation

Latest Blogs & Articles

Top Bottom